• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wow! My Clown Fish Spawned!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Providing ideal condition? I don't know about that. May be my fish finally got used to the bad condition and decided to deal with it. :D
Clownfish are quite hardy and can be easy to breed if you have a proper setup. I didn't want to make any allusions that your clownfish being happy enough to spawn was an "accident."

Charlutz

Members
Yeah, I always thought that was neat too. Melanochromis Auratus do this too. I have a proven female with male coloration because they were separated for a little while, and she began to transition.

I don't think this is true. Proven fish of one sex may take on the coloration of the other sex, but I don't think anyone has ever reported a cichlid producing fry as both a male and a female. I reported a similar event on the CF and was roundly flamed for it. When I was a kid, I had what I thought was a female auratus that "went male." There was a long ago "scientific" report of malawian mouthbrooders doing this that has since been debunked and the prevailing science is that it doesn't happen. At least that's what I was able to find on the interweb when I did a fair bit of research to try and counter the guys that were flaming me. If you can find proof, I'd love to see it. Posting as an FYI in case you repeat it -- you might be confronted. Not calling you a liar. :)

Cartel

Members
My friend who does all SW said he use to try breeding his clown fish but had a hard time keeping the fry. But I hope you have better luck! Now he has 2 Percula clowns and they are so cool to watch in his tank how they swim up and down up and down with the "waves"

YSS

Members
I will try to take pics, but the eggs are tiny and not sure how well they are going to come out. Anyhow, checked the eggs this morning and they are still there. I read it takes about 9 days for the clown eggs to hatch, so I may have a few more days.

YSS

Members
Well, I discovered all the eggs were gone yesterday afternoon. Not sure what happened. I am little bit disappointed, but I did not have huge expectations after watching my discus spawn and eat their eggs time and time again. But I did take a few pic Friday night, so I will post them when I get a chance.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Well, I discovered all the eggs were gone yesterday afternoon. Not sure what happened. I am little bit disappointed, but I did not have huge expectations after watching my discus spawn and eat their eggs time and time again. But I did take a few pic Friday night, so I will post them when I get a chance.
New parents are usually never good parents, so I'm assuming the same is true for saltwater fish. Hopefully after a few spawns they can raise the young. Are there any inverts in the tank? If its a reef tank there are probably tons of willing predators...

TheWire

Members
New parents are usually never good parents, so I'm assuming the same is true for saltwater fish. Hopefully after a few spawns they can raise the young. Are there any inverts in the tank? If its a reef tank there are probably tons of willing predators...

Dont you wish it also happened to some human parents where they get rid of their rotten brat -self image of themselves....LOL