• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wow! My Clown Fish Spawned!

YSS

Members
I guess my SW tank is doing pretty well if my clown fish spawned. I started a small SW tank back in 2005, almost 4 years ago, in a 20G. Had all sorts of problem. Upgraded to a 36G Bowfront a couple of years ago, and basically maintained status quo. No skimmer, no fancy set up. Just doing weekly water changes of 4 gallons, sometime two weeks.

Anyhow, last night, I was observing the tank for new critters (I still find new things now and then and that's what's so neat about SW tanks. FW tanks, you get what you put in the tank, but in SW tank, you find things you didn't even know existed, but I digress ...) and I saw some brown little oval things haning upside down on a piece of LiveRock. So, I did a quick search and they look exactly like clown fish eggs that's about to hatch. Not sure what would happen, but it's my first SW spawn. :D

YSS

Members
Thats awesome. What type of clownfish?

False clowns. Got them at Petco for like 13 bucks each couple of years ago. I went through about 12 or more clowns my first two years, but I am able to keep these two guys alive for a while now (knock on wood). :)

Lively

Members
False clowns. Got them at Petco for like 13 bucks each couple of years ago. I went through about 12 or more clowns my first two years, but I am able to keep these two guys alive for a while now (knock on wood). :)

*chuckle* Don't you mean, "this pair"?

YSS

Members
*chuckle* Don't you mean, "this pair"?

Oh yea. :D But they could have been two guys when I got them. You know the clowns change sex so when you have two of the same sex, one will change sex. The females are the bigger and dominant ones.

Lively

Members
Oh yea. :D But they could have been two guys when I got them. You know the clowns change sex so when you have two of the same sex, one will change sex. The females are the bigger and dominant ones.

Yeah, actually I did know that - the coolest thing about that is you never have to worry about sexing them when you buy if you want to breed... :D

DiscusnAfricans

Past President

Yeah, I always thought that was neat too. Melanochromis Auratus do this too. I have a proven female with male coloration because they were separated for a little while, and she began to transition.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Will the colors eventually fade?
Not sure. She's been like that for about 2 or 3 months now, and has spawned successfully since. The male doesn't seem to chase her any more than he used to, or more than the standard color female. I thought he was going to kill her showing male coloration with those guys' aggression. She hasn't faded much that I can tell, but I'll keep an eye on her. The definition isn't as crisp as the lines on the true male, but same color scheme. I may have to research and see if anybody else has come across it.

Sonny Disposition

Congratulations. When our fish spawn, it brings out the little kid in all of us. I'm very happy for you.

I guess my SW tank is doing pretty well if my clown fish spawned. I started a small SW tank back in 2005, almost 4 years ago, in a 20G. Had all sorts of problem. Upgraded to a 36G Bowfront a couple of years ago, and basically maintained status quo. No skimmer, no fancy set up. Just doing weekly water changes of 4 gallons, sometime two weeks.

Anyhow, last night, I was observing the tank for new critters (I still find new things now and then and that's what's so neat about SW tanks. FW tanks, you get what you put in the tank, but in SW tank, you find things you didn't even know existed, but I digress ...) and I saw some brown little oval things haning upside down on a piece of LiveRock. So, I did a quick search and they look exactly like clown fish eggs that's about to hatch. Not sure what would happen, but it's my first SW spawn. :D

YSS

Members
Thanks everyone. :D This is my first SW spawn. Speaking of auratus, I did hear about the coloration change, but I thought they did not completely change sex. But I could be wrong. I will provide progress update on my baby clowns.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Speaking of auratus, I did hear about the coloration change, but I thought they did not completely change sex. But I could be wrong.
About a year ago, I had 4 "females" so I went and bought a sub-male from a tank before I knew they were hemaphroditic. Within 12 hours one of the "females" attacked and killed the sub male I just introduced and flipped color scheme within a few hours. It took a few months before any spawning took place, but that fish is now my breeder male.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
very cool man. Isnt it really hard to get anything SW to spawn?
Just like with FW, if you provide ideal conditions, the fish will spawn without much interference. I've read that clownfish can readily spawn in the home aquarium under the right conditions, but the fry are extremely difficult to raise. Good luck with the babies, I hope it works out for you. Will be a good article for the biotope either way...

YSS

Members
Just like with FW, if you provide ideal conditions, the fish will spawn without much interference. I've read that clownfish can readily spawn in the home aquarium under the right conditions, but the fry are extremely difficult to raise. Good luck with the babies, I hope it works out for you. Will be a good article for the biotope either way...

Providing ideal condition? I don't know about that. May be my fish finally got used to the bad condition and decided to deal with it. :D