• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Strange behavior

About two weeks ago I got a P.taeniolatus ndiwe fire blue. When he arrived he looked rough. Though he was being bullied or something, had several lappetts (spelling?) Missing some scales looked rough and a small lump on his lip. The lump was the same color as his lips (blue) didn't look like a fungus or sore. His behavior is very odd. Its like he has turrets every so often he just spazes out twitching and bolting around for a few seconds. Fins havnt regenerated, lump still there but much smaller. Some days his scales look ok others more rough. No bullying, possibly glancing off rocks during his seizure like episodes. He eats like a pig and behaves quite normally (when not twitching around) he also seems to be breathing very quickly, not gasping just opens and closes mouth quickly. Never saw anything like it, acts normal just looks real homely and beat up with out ever improving.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1387590973783.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387590980553.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387590987769.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387590994342.jpg

Anyone? Have him in qt now either his scales were roughed up or there my be a growth poppimg out from between two scales, to small to tell. Still doing the strange spazz/fin twitch but acting fine otherwise. Any ideas at all?

He just looks beat up but no one was beating on him. One day he looks okay the next it appears like a scale or two is missing or raised up usually only on one side the other seems consistently okay. Took a magnifier to it and it looks like a small sore poking up between scales randomly moves every other day or so. The bump on his lip looks just like his lip, makes him look like he's got... like a beak. The twitching and spazzing is the wierdest part he doesn't slam into anything but it does look completely involuntary. Also weird how his fins never heal you can see the white margin on his dorsal is missing in a few parts been almost three weeks and it hasn't healed at all. Starting to lean toward something parasitic but nothing I can find info on???

Localzoo

Board of Directors
All I can find is its some sort of Protozoa...I f so copper based meds right onto the spot then into a qt with salt extra oxygen to ease recovery. any amounts of ammonia might make it harder for fins to heal (basically his body is busy fighting of the parasite and cant heal properly) found a link to something but not sure if its the same thing.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/species/disease/pdfs/fishdiseases/myxobolus_squamalis.pdf

Keep me posted

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I wonder if thats why he has such an appetite? I have him in a tank with salt/paraguard. That description would match what seems to be appearing with his scales. Stay tuned, thanks again

He seems to be getting better but also worse. His breathing is normal and his lip seems better but now his fins are disintegrating. All the fins that had nice sharp tips are all rounded off. Hos caudal fin is very round rather than a nice sharp triangle shape. Anal fin is the same way. :(
He seems happier and more energetic than ever. Anyone know if meds can cause fins to disintegrate like that? I really don't want to loose this fish does anyone have any suggestions/advice

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Glade he's getting better but the fins are prob being attacked by bacteria naturally in the tank check temp and also filter for excess bacteria. As long as he is getting better he will def heal his fins. Adding salt to the tank might help along with antibiotics but only as a last resort he is doing well keep water as clean as possible like as near to perfect until he's fully healed and develops his immune system again.

As for meds they do eat away at find just be careful.
Glad the other symptoms are getting better.

Last edited:
Thanks, water is good 50% wc per day, temp 84º, 1 tsp salt per 2 gal, melafix, metronidazole, lots of air. Anything else I should consider?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
No your fine just lower your temp for some time I usually lower my water temp for 3-4 month a year helps their metabolism. But your doing well start cutting water changes back slowly.

Still no worse, fins looking better noticed some twitching again today. Seems to happen most during feeding.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I was reading an article about iodine being necessary in keeping fish thyroid function in order. Just thought you would like a cool read
http://en.wikivet.net/Goitre_-_Fish

Yes fins are all better but the white margin on his dorsal hasn't returned and he is still twitching, I just don't get it. Has anyone else ever had this issue?