• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ph, Temperature, And Fish Sex

cyradis4

Members
I was doing a bit of research on how the temperature and pH change the ratio of female to male in a spawn. Now, I know that one of these two parameters will drastically change the ratio of male to female in some species of fish. I know this because I keep Mollies in some of my Angelfish tanks and over the years I've gotten 4 males and 50 females from a number of females :smashfreakB: . The pH is close to 6, and the temperature is close to 80 F. With my Angelfish, I don't particularly care what kind of ratio I get. However, I would like to breed some Africans, and I would like to get a ratio of my choice because the ones I have are maternal mouth brooders who like to be in harems.

So what is your experience of the ratios, what species, and what are your tank parameters? pH, temperature, hardness, salts and stuff.

Later!
Amanda.

mscichlid

Founder
Amanda,
I don't keep Africans...at the moment, so I can't say if the sex ratios in Old World species are affected by the parameters of the water. My experience with Apistogramma has shown that there is some correlation with the number of males to females in any given spawn due to the ph and or temperature.

longstocking

Members
I've never experimented with this.... but I can tell you. with a ph of 8.2 I end up with about 50/50 ratio. Maybe a little more towards the female side.