• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

local collecting trip

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Somebody setup a local collecting trip this spring. Hell I'll go this winter. I want some Rainbow Darters and a few crayfish. I don't have a clue where to find them.

JasonC

Members
Awesome idea.. Always wondered about some of the local fish! Please someone who knows whats what, schedule this!

verbal

CCA Members
I think Bob Bock(who did a collecting trip for the catfish convention) or Josh Weigert are probably the best guys to talk to.

MHMoro

CCA Members
Bob Bock

Hey Bob,

It seems that we are 4 or 5 guys that will like to go.....count me in!

Manuel

milangdo

Members
So I used to collect in West Texas and can tell you exactly where to get crayfish.

Go to a pond, river, lake, anysource of fresh water. Walk along the water until you see a place where grass has broken over and is in the water.

Pick up the wet grass and shake it out into a bucket. You will get all sorts of invertabrates and with luck will pull out many small crayfish.

I have not tried locally, but you could pull alot of crayfish like that in West Texas.

If you are looking for small fish, go and buy a metal bait trap. Put some bread/chickenbone in it and throw it in the water source.

Come back the next day and you will likely have many small fish, the type your looking for.

Disclaimer:

The odds of introducing a parasite into your fishtank are high using these methods.

I strongly advise a quarantine tank for anything you pull.

I know that I can get crayfish in a minnow trap that my friend sets up in the streams next to/near my house. I can ask my friend to save them for me when he catches them.

I'd also love to go on a collecting trip too in the spring. The best bet for a leader for the trip would be either Bob or Josh, since they coordinated that collecting trip for the Catfish Convention last October. Plus, they are both members of NANFA, so they would know where to collect the native fish.

Arlene

Sonny Disposition

Rainbow darters are a little harder. For Maryland, I'd need a scientific collection permit, plus, I don't have a location. It might just be easier to go to Virginia. But again, I'd need to get a location.

Would anybody be interested in colorful sunfish instead? I've got a good location for Lepomis megalotis. We could collect those under the terms of a MD fishing license, usuing small hooks. You guys would probably like them. They're every bit as mean as an Central American cichlid, at least with each other:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spe...eIndex/longearsunfish/tabid/6676/Default.aspx

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Rainbow darters are a little harder. For Maryland, I'd need a scientific collection permit, plus, I don't have a location. It might just be easier to go to Virginia. But again, I'd need to get a location.

Would anybody be interested in colorful sunfish instead? I've got a good location for Lepomis megalotis. We could collect those under the terms of a MD fishing license, usuing small hooks. You guys would probably like them. They're every bit as mean as an Central American cichlid, at least with each other:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spe...eIndex/longearsunfish/tabid/6676/Default.aspx

Gorgeous fish, Bob!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I kept a pair of rainbow darters in a 20L back in the day.

Somewhere I have a dot matrix-printed certificate for BAP of native fish...circa 1987...

Matt

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Hey Bob I am down for where ever you want to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

In the spring? I can ask some contacts for Virginia locations for the Darters, if the group wants to go. Otherwise, going to Pennyfield with size 12 hooks is also an option.

Just let me know, folks.

Hey Bob I am down for where ever you want to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

Another option is to collect in the Potomac River near Mount Vernon. I got blue spotted sunfish from there. Not as colorful, but they're small, like an apistograma. Farther afield is the Rivanna River, where we've gone for the catfish convention. Lots of Roanoke Darters there, but it's three hours away.

Sonny Disposition

I can also ask Josh and Derek for other ideas, once I get a sense of what people are looking for.

Another option is to collect in the Potomac River near Mount Vernon. I got blue spotted sunfish from there. Not as colorful, but they're small, like an apistograma. Farther afield is the Rivanna River, where we've gone for the catfish convention. Lots of Roanoke Darters there, but it's three hours away.