• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

And this is why I love our club...

chriscoli

Administrator
I've had a lot going on in my tanks....lots of new fish growing out and some starting to pair up. All of them came from people in this club...

Ok, three came from Sam...one came from Jon via Sam.

coatepeque-8242.jpg

jewel-8247.jpg

Krobia-8263.jpg

Oblongum-8219.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looking good, Christine. The coatepeque looks like its in breeding dress. Won't be long until you have babies of your own.

Love the krobia as well. They really are cool fish. The orange is really starting to pop out.

chriscoli

Administrator
Uh, yeah....about the coatepeque breeding....

so two of them dug a pit next to a rock and are protecting it....I'm assuming that's a good sign? (one is smaller than the other, but otherwise look nearly identical) I should really be giving them a cave (ie flowerpot), right?

These are the first time I've had anything like a Convict....I've heard they spawn young, but the largest one is only 2 inches....maybe 2 1/2...so I was really surprised to see them doing this today.

SO, HEY SAM...are you ready for the rest of the fish from that bag back?

chriscoli

Administrator
I'd also like to point out that on Matt's recent "what kind of fish do you keep" survey, I marked myself as a Malawi person....

I might have to re-think that answer.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Yes, pit + pair defending the area + contrasting coloration = breeding convicts. I've found that my females don't have the bright orange coloration on their bellies typical of other convict type females. The scale coloration is different, but more of a gold/silver sheen. Fin shape isn't a great indicator, but I'd guess the picture is the male. Females will be smaller.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No mostly

SO, HEY SAM...are you ready for the rest of the fish from that bag back?

Black paradise, nice strain, very dark, long flaring (not clamped) fins - what I really want are some of the red flame paradise, am sure someone else will be happy to have these.

chriscoli

Administrator
Oh, no....I wasn't giving you the black paradise back.

You want me to save you some coatepeque. It was your bag that you handed me...

chriscoli

Administrator
So, Jon....I've had the coatepeque putting some size on in a community 45 gallon tank. Lots of hiding spots, plants, etc.

But I'm assuming in the end, I should only be keeping one pair in a 3-foot tank, correct?

In other words, is it time to remove the other coatepeques from the tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have my group in a 55. There are two pairs and an extra female. There are also 3 fire mouths and a few other random cryptoheros types in the tank. I haven't found them to be completely evil to their tank mates, but when on pair breeds, they claim half the tank. With so many fish in the tank, the fry don't last long once they go free swimming. If you want to raise fry, move the pair to their own tank, but watch out that the male doesn't kill the female when he is ready to go and she isn't.

You may be able to have the group co-exist in a three footer if there are lots of hiding spots and sight breaks. If you decide to move the pair, try to hold onto an extra female in a separate tank. I haven't been that smart and have multiple lonely males of different types waiting for Matt to grow up some females for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Ah, very good advice.

Based on size...I think that the 7 I have might be 3F, 4M.

Perhaps you want one of these back?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I could try to fit one of the extra males back in my tank if you can't find another home for him, but my two are getting close to 4" and may not welcome the competition.

chriscoli

Administrator
Actually, I was offering a female...sorry i was not clear. Since these came from you and Sam....seems like you'd have dibs if you want any.

Otherwise I'd like to see if another pair forms and put them in the 55 maybe.

I've really got to get back around to investing in a 6ft tank!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Keep them. They really are a fun little fish and there aren't many in the hobby. It puts a smile on my face to know they are in good hands and starting to breed.