Crashing 29 gallon

I know clout isn't the greatest med but its the ONLY thing I've ever used that's been effective against bloat or swin bladder or whatever causes the swolen stomach area.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pardon my ignorance but why would one "lol" about clout? Only relation to bleach I can come up with is that they both kill parasites. If it can kill parasites as easliy as bleach but doesn't kill fish as easily I would think it'd be a great med.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jehmco has it. As for the terrorist watch list, I am surely on it as I buy peroxide a store shelf at a time.

Where do I get these substances without setting off a terrorist watch list?

Honestly, I'm probably not mixing my own meds, not enough experience or the proper scales.

Becca

Members
After the prazi-pro I haven't lost any additional fish... at least, I haven't found any bodies. I can't find my last male S. vaillanti. It's a labyrinth fish so it has to surface for air eventually unless it's dead.

I also got some more kanaplex from tropical lagoon so I could treat the tank with an antibacterial. They had para guard, but it seems to do the same thing as prazi-pro, which I've already used.

UGH.

I hate fish. I hate fish. I hate fish. I love fish. FML.

zackcrack00

Members
Becca-

I know what you're going through! I had a mass die-off in my 75. Good lunch with this, it's a tough thing to go trough. If you have any, use Indian almond leaves and/or banana leaves in the tank. They help fungus and other things so it's just that much more prevention while you are treating ofr other things.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Becca-

I know what you're going through! I had a mass die-off in my 75. Good lunch with this, it's a tough thing to go trough. If you have any, use Indian almond leaves and/or banana leaves in the tank. They help fungus and other things so it's just that much more prevention while you are treating ofr other things.

Becca I can bring you some banana leaves if you want some.

Becca

Members
Becca I can bring you some banana leaves if you want some.

I have Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, and alder cones in all of my tanks. I like that "unkempt lawn" look.

I lost my last male and my 2nd to last female S. vaillanti yesterday evening. The good news is that I didn't have any new losses over night and everyone in the tank is behaving normally. If the last S. vaillanti makes it, I'm naming her Typhoid Mary and calling it a day. I quit this fish. I started with one female and it seems I'll finish with one female. Sad thing is, I am pretty sure it's not the same female.

I also lost the big, b*tchy B. cupido that I had quarantined. That said, the other fish all seem much happier without her in the tank.

Becca

Members
Thanks, guys. Honestly, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about this one. I think, in the long run, I'm just going to let the red cherry shrimp overrun this tank.

Becca

Members
Not sure what you have left, but were it me, I would cull them.

Doug - I have enough fish left in the tank that it will still look populated even if I never add another living creature to it. Most of what I had in there qualified as Nano fish (1/2" or less). Two groups were wholly unimpacted by losses - green-eye rasboras and pygmy sparkling gouramis.

I also have too many treasured plants in the tank to just bleach the whole thing. I've had the same female Amano shrimp for about 4 years, the same piece of Anubias for 12-13 years... I've got 7 ember tetras and I'm not sure how many green eye rasboras in there. It's enough to keep the thing looking active. That said, the tank will never get WC'd with shared equipment ever again and will always get WC'd on a separate day than the others.

That is, of course, if the rest of the tank doesn't just turn up dead in the next week.

If they live, I'll let them live.

I guess I have a low or non-existent tolerance but then I have no vested interest either, no plants... not 12 years or 12 hours for that matter and the oldest of the breeders is but 2 years and will be selling them on AB this spring once it ever warms up again.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
I guess I have a low or non-existent tolerance but then I have no vested interest either, no plants... not 12 years or 12 hours for that much and the oldest of the breeders is but 2 years and will be selling them on AB this spring once it ever warms up again.

It's a difference between having tanks for display or "pets" versus running a fish business, too. If I were a breeder or shop owner, keeping a tank like this could destroy my entire operation and my livelihood.

Keeping a tank like this does come with some risk for a standard hobbyist, but not the same level of risk as it comes with for you.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep a bucket of water with Jungle "Net Soak" in my fish room to minimize transmission of disease or whatever between tanks. Nets, siphons, heaters, etc. all get a soak between uses (vs. having dedicated equipment for each tank).

Matt

Becca

Members
Nope. Added some fish almost 3 weeks ago, that was it. The fish were looking great until I woke up Friday AM and found a bunch dead.

The only thing I was doing differently was that I was doing more frequent, smaller water changes (e.g. 5 gallons 2-3 times a week) rather than the usual 10-15 gallons once a week because the chocolate gouramis are sensitive to changes in water chemistry. The other fish I lost aren't, particularly, so I can't imagine it was that.

I even wondered if it was because I used some snow/rain water for the WC's, but I used that same water in the 10 gallon with my pair of EB Rams and they're fine.

Becca

Members
I keep a bucket of water with Jungle "Net Soak" in my fish room to minimize transmission of disease or whatever between tanks. Nets, siphons, heaters, etc. all get a soak between uses (vs. having dedicated equipment for each tank).

Matt

I use a salt solution to dip stuff, but whatever this was, I can't see ever letting stuff from this tank touch another tank EVER again. It was essentially invisible and killed fast. There were hardly any symptoms to go on and most of the fish that died were fully colored and strutting around the tank before keeling over.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Nope. Added some fish almost 3 weeks ago, that was it. The fish were looking great until I woke up Friday AM and found a bunch dead.

The only thing I was doing differently was that I was doing more frequent, smaller water changes (e.g. 5 gallons 2-3 times a week) rather than the usual 10-15 gallons once a week because the chocolate gouramis are sensitive to changes in water chemistry. The other fish I lost aren't, particularly, so I can't imagine it was that.

I even wondered if it was because I used some snow/rain water for the WC's, but I used that same water in the 10 gallon with my pair of EB Rams and they're fine.

K just brainstorming I know snails and shrimp harbor bacteria and parasites that don't affect them(unless molting) but harm fish. Did the fish you add get quarantined? I know you do just have to ask to make sure they were not the culprits

Becca

Members
K just brainstorming I know snails and shrimp harbor bacteria and parasites that don't affect them(unless molting) but harm fish. Did the fish you add get quarantined? I know you do just have to ask to make sure they were not the culprits

Yes and no. The gouramis classify as fish that don't get quarantined. That said, I shuffled the fish in the tanks so that anything super valuable (e.g., the D. macs) went into a different tank. They're sensitive fish and can't easily tolerate immature systems. It was a calculated risk to add them in with my existing female and some established dither fish that had been through quarantine. If I'd added them to a non-established tank, they would all have died within 2 days. Whatever happened, I do believe the brief temperature drop triggered it. I just don't know what "it" is.

The calculation was this - I liked my female but, on her own, she was a sole specimen of a hard-to-find fish who would grow old and die. I sought additional specimens in hopes of getting them to breed so that the fish might become less rare in the hobby. So much for that. Once I lost the last male, any surviving fish became relatively worthless to that end.