• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whats your best recipe for green water?

JasonC

Members
Thought I was good at growing algae til I actually wanted to grow it.. :mad:

What recipes have you all used to spur a green water growth?

Thanks!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I agree green water is hard to find when you really want it. When you do not want it, that is a different story.

The one procedure I like for a fairly reliable source of green water involves goldfish. Set up a 10 gallon tank or larger without anything in it but water and a couple goldfish. You do not even need a filter, though something to move the water like an air stone will help. Set it in a place that gets a couple hours minimum of direct sunlight a day. Feed the goldfish. They generate waste which grows good green water. You should be able to remove a couple quarts of green water every day once it gets started. Just top the tank back up to the high water mark each time.

JasonC

Members
I agree green water is hard to find when you really want it. When you do not want it, that is a different story.

The one procedure I like for a fairly reliable source of green water involves goldfish. Set up a 10 gallon tank or larger without anything in it but water and a couple goldfish. You do not even need a filter, though something to move the water like an air stone will help. Set it in a place that gets a couple hours minimum of direct sunlight a day. Feed the goldfish. They generate waste which grows good green water. You should be able to remove a couple quarts of green water every day once it gets started. Just top the tank back up to the high water mark each time.

Seen this method around the net, just not sure if I want to commit to such a "large" operation?

What is the purpose of green water?

Daphnia food. So only need a little at a time...

toddnbecka

Members
I have a couple-gallon glass vase hanging in a kitchen window that houses a betta, a few small ramshorns, and a little Najas. Water is so green you can't see through it, even (Becka) doing a complete water change didn't stop it fom coming back. I feed the betta NLS Grow pellets. Have never actually tested the water, but he has survived for almost 2 years so it can't be too horrible. It's so green it would skew the color from the indicator solution anyway.

longstocking

Members
A long time ago I read about potatoes? No idea if I am remembering correctly... or crazy :lol:

Glass jar, small slice of potatoe, water, and sunlight.

JLW

CCA Members
I'm lazy.

Glass of water, dissolve spirulina powder from health food store (buy cheap online in bulk).

JasonC

Members
So Todd, Huge thank you for the tip here. Set up a very similar tank in my kitchen window, and it is working Fantastically for about a month and a half now. Looks like I have a tank of engine coolant on my window sill!

I have a couple-gallon glass vase hanging in a kitchen window that houses a betta, a few small ramshorns, and a little Najas. Water is so green you can't see through it, even (Becka) doing a complete water change didn't stop it fom coming back. I feed the betta NLS Grow pellets. Have never actually tested the water, but he has survived for almost 2 years so it can't be too horrible. It's so green it would skew the color from the indicator solution anyway.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have raised a few daphnia over the years. Some of the original recipes for getting blooms of daphnia in a pond involve dead animals to get a bloom of bacteria which are in turn eaten by the daphnia. But daphnia will basically eat anything they can get in their mouths. And basically anything that decomposes in water to produce bacteria will serve as a food for daphnia. Daphnia come from swamps around the world and eat the bacteria and micro organisms that are produced by decaying swamp vegetation. Mashed sweet potatoes works well for me as would mashed peas or any other cooked vegetable. You can also use any dried fish food which works very well if you powder it.