• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What to breed?

dshaffer3

Members
I'm in the process of re-sealing a 110 high and I'm trying to get some ideas on what species to keep. I'm thinking about a group of 1m/6f. All from different stock other than a pair to start with. As of right now I'm stuck between a few different Tropheus, Fronts and Thick Skin sp. 44. I'm really digging the Canary Cheek, Red or Blue Rainbow, Ilangi, Murago... I currently have 5 inch Golden Kazumba male, a 4 inch Red Rainbow male, 6 Moliro of different sizes, male Ikola, and a male Bemba. I have 3 inch Frontosa that's just a show to watch. I want your opinions. I would like to have something that's not already being breed in the club, something you would like to have within a short drive.

a. kandeense and a. maylandi are both very difficult to breed. I tried and failed. Jim Peck hasn't had much luck either. They are really lovely, very mild peacock that allows more than one male in a small tank. If you could get them to breed, there would be many grateful folks, I think.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Are you trying to keep your current stock? If so, you're going to be limited.

Tropheus in the tank will limit the amount of less aggressive Malawi haps/peacocks you can keep in there; though equal-aggression mbuna would do just fine. Aggression may not be bad now, but in adult groups with females around, they will be very nasty fish.

If you are interested in trying to breed Tropheus, you should limit the stocking to two very different species to limit chances of hybridization. Red moliro are said to be the Trophs that will interbreed with anything - short of duboisi (a combo I've had luck with).

It's tough to go with less than 10 adults in a group. This means either purchasing an established group or starting with 15-20 young ones and let the inevitable Survivor-style (un)natural selection take it's course.

The other option is just to not add to the tropheus groups, leave them there and get something else (a coupe groups of mbuna or a single Vic species for instance). With the combo of trophs you have in there now, there is no way to ever be certain that the young will not be hybrids.

110 is not appropriate to breed frontosa. It will be good to grow them out in (for a while), but you will eventually need a 180 as they get very large and tend to be quite skittish (and love to run into glass/rocks in too small a tank). Having a super-active rock-dwelling fish will only exacerbate this issue.

I don't know what Benthochromis friction is, but Benthochromis tricoti would be a very bad idea for that tank for many reasons.

Sorry, not tying to sound like a downer; just trying to help out. In general for breeding, Tropheus and Frontosa are usually a species-only tank deal.

You do have many more options though. :)

Last edited: