• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What might happen...

hotwingz

Members
Ok so i know i have fish that arent ment to be together. I have 13 mixed cichlids. Not a hundred percent where their from. I do know i have 1 ruby peacock, 3 mbunas, and the rest are haps. None of them look the same and i think only one is a female. Theyve all been tother for about 6 months now with no issues, and since they were very young juvies. What can i expect to come of this. And would it be any benifit to move any of them to an empty 28bow i have.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
I'm not the most experienced with them but I think the female hap(?) will breed with any male hap so she might need to go. How big are the fish currently and what size tank?

Side bar, When is Datsyuk coming back?

hotwingz

Members
Do you think shed breed with anyof them? No fish looks alike. But she has been digging and chasing away more. she is the biggestbut theure all around 3.5-2.5" in a 55.

hotwingz

Members
Oh and im not sure when he comes back but we won today stopping a small loosing streak!

Cnkbradford

Members
I've had lots of "mixed tanks" in the past. There are no rules that apply 100% but in general you'll just need to watch closely for any serious aggression. Any of your fish could become troublesome if they become too dominant. Some species of mbuna can get really mean real fast! In general a mixed tank should be overstocked to the point that no one can establish total dominance. The other option is to remove mbunas and keep male peacocks and haps. This works well but personally I'd remove any females. My 210 is currently loaded with very large haps and peacocks and it works well. There is always a pecking order though. Usually a couple of males in a crowded mixed tank will stay brown to avoid getting hurt. It's hard to get a perfect mix! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hotwingz

Members
Ya that was kinda my thought was to take her out. I was thinking of putting her in my 28 and maybe get a male to see what happens. But my real issue right now and i know this happens with all male tanks is they dont get as nice looking. Because i do have a couple that are beautiful in full color bu they stay muted. Now they are smaller so im hoping when they get bigger they get thier colors back.

Cnkbradford

Members
Your fish may still be too small to color up much. Also, most haps don't color until they are BIG. Some haps won't ever color much unless they are dominant. I have a 10 inch fossochromis Rostratus that just barely colored out because I removed some fish from the tank.....he's a big boy to just be getting his color, but sometimes that happens. Do you know what species you have. Post some pics and maybe we can identify them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hotwingz

Members
So the first one is of what im believing to be the only female. Not sure what exactly she is. And i have two others that look like her except one is almost brown, or every color! Ha and the other is black with darker stripes. Im guessing both to all three being hybrids?

The second im not sure what he is either. I thought he was neat, and i guess i lied when i said no two were alike because i have another one but hes yellow when tbis one is white. Both males though!

The third guy, when i bought him from the store was the best looking fish there! He had his yellow tipped black fins. And was black on the bottom with a black head with black stripes and his body was purple! Awesome looking!

uploadfromtaptalk1330590504554.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330590700352.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1330590721498.jpg

hotwingz

Members
My others include...
Acei, jewel, white convict, red zebra, ruby peacock, and a blue johanni.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
The three pictures you posted look to be a Pseudotropheus lombardoi, a Nimbochromis venustus and a Pseudotropheus sp. Acei.

That venustus is going to be tough to keep in a 55. They get pretty big and mean.

hotwingz

Members
Ok ya ive heard those get big and mean. Of course after i got them. Guess i didnt fully realize what i had. And im going to have to do more research before i buy from this guy again. He said theyd all be ok together in my tank. But maybe ill see if hell trade me back. But is there any real foreseeable problems? Ideas to fix. More fish? :D