• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What kind of pleco is this?

Can anyone id and sex if possible? Have had it for about 3 months. Got it at the lfs but they don't know what it is and if they can get it again.uploadfromtaptalk1389815255633.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389815255633.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Oops. Posted while I was typing. Looks more like a siamese algae eater (or chinese algae eater, I'm not good at telling them apart).

verbal

CCA Members
It is not a catfish. It is some type of Cyprinidae - which is the same family as barbs and goldfish. Probably a flying fox or Siamese algae eater.

He does a great job and want to get more of them for other tanks. But i can't get him to eat any kind of algae wafers have tried 4 different kinds. Thanks for the help anyone have some for sell or breeding them?

Becca

Members
Most pet shops sell these as chinese algae eaters or siamese algae eaters, not to be confused with the siamese flying fox (known for its hair-algae-eating prowess).

They are not good in tanks with timid, or slow-moving fish that are easily stressed, but they go well with barbs, etc. They can be a little nippy/aggressive and, if I recall correctly, they get to be about 6 inches.

Ya 6in. is what it says but he has only grown maybe a half inch in about three months is this normal. He does go at the tetras but does not case them.

That looks more like it but everyone says its not an algae eater and that says its not a louch. It says its part of the cobitidae and homalopteridae family.:confused:

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
They may eat some algae when young, but they're aufwuchs eaters by nature, so they won't do a good job of cleaning up algae. But, in my opinion, the big strike against them is that they become territorial as they get bigger and will hassle other fish.

I'd try getting rid of it (trade it back to the store?) and looking for dedicated algae eaters, such as otocinclus, ancistrus, or even nerite snails. Based on the other fish in your pictures, any of these smaller algae eaters would do a much better job.

Blaise