• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WHAT KIND OF CICHLID???

MISSB

Members
I have a cichlid that I bought at a specialty fish store a couple years ago( it was supposed to be a baby ram) and I cannot find out what he is. I have gone to many different specialty stores and showed photos but they cannot seem to figure it out. HELP?!?

CICHLID (3).jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looks like a geophagus sp. Bahia Red to me. It is a brasiliensis type geo. On the robust side for eartheaters.

Nice fish!

MISSB

Members
Thank you. I had a couple people mention that he may be but then they said they thought he might be a hybrid. He is a bit of the pain but I love his iridescent colors. I also have a female but I am not sure she is the same type. I have to see if I can get somephotos of her.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
That's what I meant by robust. Most geos are relatively peaceful. Brasiliensis types tend to act more like central americans than south americans.

What kind of Cichlid is it?

It actually looks more like a Geophagus surinamesis than a Bahia Red. You can goolge "Images of Bahia Red Geophagus," and "Images of Geophagus surinamensis" to compare pictures.

MHMoro

CCA Members
It looks more like a Geophagus sp. bahia red to me than any other Geophagus species in the hobby.

Manuel