• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what do you get when you cross...

mshen11

Members
an albino bristlenose and a normal brown bristlenose?

will the offspring be either completely albino or completely brown - or will it look "mixed" light brown-ish or partly white and partly brown?

zackcrack00

Members
Albino is recessive. If you cross a pure brown bristlenose with no albino genes to an albino you get 100% brown bristlenose with an albino gene. If you take one of those babies and cross it to an albino, you get 50% albino and 50% brown with albino gene.

chriscoli

Administrator
It depends on what the gene combination for color the brown has.

Albinos are double recessive, but Browns can have either two dominant alleles (homozygous) or one dominant and one recessive allele (heterozygous). You wouldn't know until you crossed them and saw the color distribution in the offspring.

If all of the offspring come out brown, then the brown parent has two dominant alleles. All offspring will be heterozygous and THEIR offspring may produce albinos if crossed with an albino or other heterozygous brown.

But, if the brown parent is heterozygous (one dominant, one recessive gene) then half of the offspring will be albino, and the other half will be brown (but will be heterozygous also).

For what it's worth, if you cross two heterozygous Browns, a quarter of the offspring will be albino, and 3/4 will be brown (half of the total will be heterozygous, the other quarter will be homozygous for the dominant gene).

There are some weird circumstances where there may be other factors going on as well so sometimes you'll see strange things happen....but most will follow this pattern.

It follows basic Mendelian genetics, so if you want to know more, Google about Punnett Squares.

mshen11

Members
right I understand the genetics - so a mix gene also does not mean two colored babies? ive seen in local pet stores where the advertise normal BN with lots of light bright/grey - like a mulato

chriscoli

Administrator
not usually....although the traits that produce light or splotched are there, they aren't a yes/no type of gene regulation like brown vs. albino. They'll take more time line breeding the varieties to produce them. I think you were asking if the albino and brown traits could be co-dominant....not in this case.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Some people will label these 'calico' but I think it is a simple variation in the brown coloring, not a mix of different colors. There could be other genes present that affect the color uniformity, or line breeding could produce individuals with a higher amount of color variation. I'm sure more research is taking place into questions like these, the ancistrus genus is still relatively 'new' in the grand scheme of things.

mshen11

Members
I see thanks. Another generic genetics question... I see a fish described as half albino and half normal gene. How does the poster really know? Maybe the fish is erd generation and both parents have mixed genes

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I see thanks. Another generic genetics question... I see a fish described as half albino and half normal gene. How does the poster really know? Maybe the fish is erd generation and both parents have mixed genes

If they bred them, or know the source...but it's difficult to know what your getting if your not familiar or have testimony from others you trust.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app