• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

weird convicts need advice

cichlids

Members
i have a pair of convicts, (male and female) and everytime i go to feed them they eat like maniacs! food goes in the tank and they scatter everywhere darting in and out food goes left and right as they try to catch the food in their mouth and when they're done they hide behind their rock... WWWWHHHYYYYY DO THEY DO THAT??? "/ ANY clues?? its been happening for months now.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Are they eating or panicking?

How do they behave ordinarily (i.e. when not eating)?

Pics or description of their tank?

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
Test your nitrite and nitrates. High levels of either can make fish spastic.

Is there anything else in the tank with them? It could be that they need a dither fish.

My 2 convicts both male and female are nuts they travel in my tank together all the tine never more then a few inches from one another during feeding they go nuts and hoard all they can but never go after food on the ground my earth eater takes care of that...So maybe its just one of those quirky things

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
My 2 convicts both male and female are nuts they travel in my tank together all the tine never more then a few inches from one another during feeding they go nuts and hoard all they can but never go after food on the ground my earth eater takes care of that...So maybe its just one of those quirky things

What size tank? Depending on the size/temperament of the eartheater, they could be having issue with their tankmate. Unless its a large tank, its possible they're not happy about being "kings of the castle." As someone previously mentioned, they may also benefit from a more appropriate dither fish (tetra, danio, etc.)

Well its a 20 gallon tank and the temp stays a constant 78 degrees there is also another Cichlid in the tank they all stay together and some times give chase but are usually found together or in their caves never really a problem I'll post the picture of the 4th fish they have been together like this for about a month...uploadfromtaptalk1359042521448.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1359042521448.jpg

cichlids

Members
Are they eating or panicking?

How do they behave ordinarily (i.e. when not eating)?

Pics or description of their tank?

Matt

Well it's like they are doing both because they eat while panicking but when they are not eating they are fine. Very calm they even breed on a regular basis. They are in a 10gl tank but they are the only ones in there. All their level are on the safe side i check once a week and i do water changes every 2 weeks. Temp. Stays at 78 ph at 8.0

cichlids

Members
What size tank? Depending on the size/temperament of the eartheater, they could be having issue with their tankmate. Unless its a large tank, its possible they're not happy about being "kings of the castle." As someone previously mentioned, they may also benefit from a more appropriate dither fish (tetra, danio, etc.)

I have actually tried various times with a dither fish in my tank but it always gets beat up by both the convicts they kill it in 3 days.