• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Rate Hike

mscichlid

Founder
If you can't read it there.....

LAUREL, Md. -- The water utility serving most of Montgomery and Prince George's counties is proposing a rate increase under which the average customer's quarterly bill would increase from $150 to $225.

The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission said money is needed to replace the disintegration of an aging network of water and sewer pipes.

The plan calls for customer rates to rise 9.5 percent in July. Residents also would pay an additional $20 a month for the next 10 years to speed the replacement of the system's 10,800 miles of underground water and sewer pipes. Rates also would go up each year, including an 11.5 percent hike next year.

"Operating costs have skyrocketed. We use a lot of electricity producing water," said WSSC General Manager Andrew Brunhart. "We use a lot of chemicals. Chemical costs have gone up 20 to 25 percent just in the last year."

Brunhart said there were more than 2,100 pipe bursts last year, leaving customers without water and tying up traffic during repairs. He said, "There will be more breaks until we get ahead of the aging pipes."

Some people, however, said the additional costs will be hard to handle, News4's James Adams reported.

"It's scary," said Dan Thomas, who needs utility assistance. "It's an either-or choice. You turn your lights off, you turn your gas off or you buy food or you get your medicine. Take your pick."

There will be public hearings on the proposal Feb. 6 in Largo and Feb. 7 in Rockville.

The commission's plan and budget will be reviewed in the spring.

The District's water authority also wants to increase its rates by an average of $4 or $5 per month per customer.

DeeCee

Members
I can't stand rate increases like that. I'm sure they factor in depreciation of equipment and pipes in what they charge the customers and what they pay on their taxes --don't you think that what they charge would pay for upkeep/maintenance/repairs/replacements ?

Ooops, sorry - I had the wrong glasses on today. That rose-color sure is pretty though! LOL

Utility monopolies always IRK me :angry3:

DC