• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water changes?

Acpape0

Members
So how does everyone do their water changes? All of the tanks same day? Large tanks on different days and all small tanks at once?
Just curious especially those with large fish rooms and large tanks?
I change the water in my 90 and 55 on Saturday or Sunday (depending on which day I have more time but both on the same day) I change the water on my 125 during the week usually on Tuesday or Wednesday . I am just curious how every spreads out the work and/or Hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zackcrack00

Members
I do all my tanks but my 75g (Largest tank I own) the same day, and any tanks with fry (Be it mbuna or guppies, etc) more than that.

Rasta Fish

Members
If I have time all at once
If not start with the most stock tank
A water pump with a 1" hose I can change water in all my thanks under an hour
About 17 tanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I typically change the water on my tanks on the first floor (4 tanks, 380 gallons total) one day and my tanks on the second floor (14 tanks, 310 gallons total) on the next day. If I have a day off and nothing to do, I can sometimes do changes on both in the same day. My limiting factor is refilling versus draining. I'm on a well, so water pressure is my issue. I can typically drain the tanks in about 40 minutes but take about 2 hours to refill.

chriscoli

Administrator
I change a zone at a time for my downstairs tanks, that way if I need to stop for some reason, I have predictable breaks. I can change them all downstairs in about 4 hrs during the summer if I need to. In the winter, I have to break it up to let the hot water heater recover. If I'm using a lot of RO, I have to plan which zones to do and let the reservoir refill overnight. Upstairs tanks get done on separate days from the downstairs.

I use a pond pump with a garden hose that I move from tank to tank. If I need to, I drain to the outside and reuse the water on the landscape plants.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I usually do all of mine on the same day. I use two water changing hoses connected to pumps. Those run into a bucket in a laundry tub. From that bucket, I use a more powerful pump to pump the water out of the basement into my yard.

I do 13 tanks holding a total of 330 gallons, changing at least 50% of the water, in about 2.5 hours. It would be faster if I didn't pump the water into the yard, but I'd rather reuse the water.

Reed

Very Fishe
I do water changes 3x week on my rack of 8 tanks 300 gallons 20% and takes 20 minutes and once a week on other 8 tanks 315 gallons 25% using a drop in Pump connected to a python which takes about 45 minutes

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I normally clean the tanks in the fishroom weekly by draining the tanks out with the python and by syphoning the water out into buckets. Once all the tanks have had water drained out of them I fill them up with the python. My fishroom contains 16 tanks and in total has 250 gallons of water and it takes around 2 hours total. Then I normally clean the 120 and 55 every other week just because I have around 3 times the filtration necessary for the tanks. i clean the 120 by siphoning water into a big bucket and then wheel the bucket over to the utility sink and drain it out with a pump and on the 55 i just syphon water into 5 gallon buckets and dump it into the toilet and once thats done I fill up the bucket and pour new water into the tank. When I clean the tanks in the beasement and the 55 they get 50% water changes and the 120 and fry tanks normally gets 75% water changes

kevin911

Members
I do water change 1-2 twice a month with weekly testing. Mostly top off, filtration does the work for me :)

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

On my first floor show tanks, I do WC once a week due to heavy stocking. In my basement grow out tanks, the schedule varies with stocking from once to twice a month. I keep a log of the WC in each tank so I know when it is time for WC. The greatest effort in WC is set up time so I do multiple tanks at one time and drain as much as 75% water. In my first floor, I use a long garden hose to dump the water into a rain barel in which I have a submersible pump to divert the water to irrigate my lawn and flower beds in warm months. In winter, I dump the water into my toilet. In my basement, all the water goes into my basement sump pump. The most time consuming thing is draining the big tanks, but it is a passive effort as I can just watch tv. Filling the tank is faster but hazardous as it can over fill if I am away. So I set up a timer to warn me by estimating the time to fill up based on how fast the water level rises in 5 minute.

neut

Members
Actually, when I had more tanks I also had more time and did my water changes on one day. I still prefer to do them at the same time, but it doesn't always happen, I might start on one day and finish up a day or two later. I set up an adapter to run my python off a shower pipe, it's faster and closer to my tanks than the kitchen sink, so typically I just leave it connected there until I get them all done.