• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

UPgrading to 75 gallon reef tank

pnlkman

Members
I have a 29 gallon reef tank and I am upgrading to a 75 gallon. I have the 75 up with a bunch of old live sand that I have rinsed out and old dried up live rock. What is the best way to transfer the live rock and coral and fish from the 29 gallon. I dont want to kill everything. thanks

Lively

Members
Very carefully. lol I would sugest removing the rock to a plastic bin and filling it with the salt water from your 29 gallon and then all the live stuff and put a filter on it and the heater, too. When you transfer the sand from the 29g you're going to muck up the water, alot! I've heard you shouldn't transfer sand, but have always done it anyway. Seems like a waste of live critters to dump it.

Transfer the sand over and any live rock without critters can go into the bigger tank. Make sure your salinity is the same and fill the new tank. WHen the muck has mainly settled and the temps are close to the same, you can pull some of the water out of the tank and move the water and live critters out of the bin.

I've done emergency transfers with salt, wasn't able to take any real care other than salinity - and that was spotty at best and had few fatalities.

Keep an eye on things, if you get a die off of the microbe critters it will stress the coral and fish.

Spine

Members
I like to transfer the sand first then add just a little water.Next add the rocks then slowly add water. I use something to difuse the water so it won't cloud the tank as much, then add all the livstock etc.

pnlkman

Members
Thanks I don't have to rush this so I was thinking of moving the live rock to one side of the 30 gallon and getting as much of the sand from one side that I can and move that to the 75 gallon and also take some of the live rock with no coral growing on it over to the larger tank also and letting it run for a couple of weeks before I put anything into it. Than slowly add the rest of the rock and fish I will test the water before I put anything that is alive besides the live rock in.

Lively

Members
pnl - getting sand out of a tank filled with water will seriously muck up the water of the tank. I would not suggest it.

Stacy

pnlkman

Members
how about just taking a couple cups full of sand and putting it in the new tank to seed the sand? I heard this will work also.

pnlkman

Members
Maybe if I fill up a cup with sand and put a lid on it while at the bottom or will this release to much bad stuff into the water.

Lively

Members
pnl - try doing it - you'll see what I mean. It really isn't "bad" stuff - it just mucks the water up. I would transfer as much of the true live sand as possible - the dried up stuff is dead.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Paul,

Will the rock fit in 5 gallon buckets without damaging the coral? How about a rubbermaid? You may want to try mixing up extra saltwater, throwing the rocks in buckets temporarily, then drain as much water from the small tank as possible (making up a large part of the holding buckets). When you have only sand left with a couple of inches of water, transfer the sand (throw away remaining "mucked up water).

After you have the sand in, you can place the rocks/corals and slowly fill the tank with the bucket water and other water.

Good luck and post pics if you can. :)

pnlkman

Members
I thought about that by I am worried that the new tank will go through some sort of cycle and Kill everything?

bschuhart

Members
Be careful, I tried moving a 300 reef to a new house and lost everyhthing. I basically move the entire reef into large 50 gallon rubbermade trash cans, connected my sump and all the filters... and had it running OK. Moved the tank, filled with salt water. The next day was supposed to be move the livestock to the new house, (only 10 minutes away) came home from work and everything was dead...one of the heatesr went bad and electrocuted everyhting.

I was so sick over this, I sold everything, all my tanks equipment...that was 12 years ago, now iI'm getting back into it again but with fresh water only for now.

Lively

Members
Same here, Kevin. You can't worry about equipment failure. Lost our last salt fish to a heater. Serious salt disaster - the tank busted in the middle of the night. We saved the fish by giving it fishy cpr (swirled in bucket to force water over gills). Set up a new tank in less than 24 hours, decided the water was a bit too cool at room temp and bought a brand new heater (stealth no less) set it to 80 - but the water got down right hot. Killed the fish.

But, before that - I've moved salt tanks plenty of times. I really do think you should use the bucket/bin method. No matter how careful you are - you will muck the water and the fish/coral will be irratated by the swirled up sand.

pnlkman

Members
so you think I will be safe with moving everything to a bin then taking the sand out of my 29 and putting it into my 75 then put the live rock into it and then the fish. Do you think I will get a cycle from the old sand and rock that I put into the 75.

pnlkman

Members
or should I just leave the sand in the 29 gallon and just use the live rock and a little bit of the live sand.

Lively

Members
I'd take the extra step of putting what ever filter media I had on the smaller tank to the larger for awhile. You'll probably have some spikes - you're doubling the amount of space - but you're not increasing your bioload. You shouldn't have any major issues. A mature salt tank completes the nitrogen cycle - a fresh doesn't, well most fresh don't. Keep an eye on it and I think you'll be fine.

Lively

Members
I would definately use the sand and rock out of the 29 in the big tank! It's worth the little bit of hassle!