• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Up and running again!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
As allot of you know about a month ago everything in my 55 died, including my baby stingray I was growing out (RIP Roxaine). After everything died I
scooped out all of the dead fish and drained the tank. Then I toulk the sand out and put it in a rubbermaid container and left everything else in the tank.
Then I filled the tank with water and netsoak and I filled the rubbermaid with strait netsoak. 96 hours later I drained out all of the net soak and water. Then I put
everything back how it was. Then I filled it with 50% water from the 120 downstairs and 50% from the sink. After refilling I added some smart start
bacteria and crammed the filter with old seeded media from the canister filter for the 120. Then I put in some black neon tetras in as test fish. 2 weeks
later I had the same amount of tetras so I knew the tank was now ready for fish.

I touk my C.cuatepeque (From Christine) and M.ramirezy (From Frank) out of the cramped 10 gallon and plopped them into their new home. Then
came some threadfin rainbowfish (From Rachel) and fancy plecos (L018 and L128 from congressional)! The rams have already layed eggs -but the
dad ate them- and everything else seems happy. And just when I think things couldn't get better my mom surprised me today with a new stingray (Potamotrygon Reticulata from congressional)! The tank looks great and I will post pics very soon.

zackcrack00

Members
I'm no expert on any of those fish, but are you sure they can all co-exist peacefully at full-grown size in that tank? What about each species' water parameters?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Well the most aggresive ones are the c.cuatepeque but right now they are all under an inch long. The stingray is not aggresive and they all do fine in a ph of 7. Also the stingray and cuatepeque will not be in this tank their whole lives, the stingray will end up getting a stock pond as a tank in about a year and the cuatepeque will be moved into my empty 30 gallon once they hit 2".

blkmjk

Members
The ray will eat them all. Are you sure you can keep fish that small with a ray?

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The ray will eat them all. Are you sure you can keep fish that small with a ray?

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

Drew is correct. The ray will, over time, eat the other fish. In the short term it may cause stress to the other fish. I would suggest you keep the ray with much larger, peaceful fish.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Ok, thanks. Right now the ray is really small. When he outgrows this tank I'll move my salvinis out of the 120 and then the stingray can live with my severums. My old stingray who was even larger lived with most of these fish with no problem. But I'll still keep an eye on the ray.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Ok, thanks. Right now the ray is really small. When he outgrows this tank I'll move my salvinis out of the 120 and then the stingray can live with my severums. My old stingray who was even larger lived with most of these fish with no problem. But I'll still keep an eye on the ray.

Make sure the ray does not have to compete for food and things may work for a while. Target feeding the ray is a good idea.