• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Unknown Sickness

McGrubble

Members
Hey all,

A few days after acclimating an angel I picked up at the Oct. meeting, I noticed what looked like a large whitehead protruding from its mouth. Since then I've performed a few heavy duty water changes and have started daily doses of Melafix. However, the infection has gotten steadily worse into what looks like an open sore next to his mouth. He has been an extremely picky eater, so far, sticking his nose up to flakes, dried baby brine shrimp, new spectrum, and frozen blood worms.

It's a beautiful fish and I want to take care of it but 1) I have no idea what the ailment might be other an Hole in Head and 2) have no idea how to treat it aside from dosing with Melafix. I'd use salt, but my tank is very heavily planted and I'm afraid of losing all the growth I've spent months working towards.

Also, whatever this sickness may be, is it transferable to the rest of its tankmates?

Any thoughts welcome!

image.jpg

McGrubble

Members
Apologies for the lopsided pictures and poor quality. They were taken from my tablet and aren't loading correctly. Here is a picture of the current sore.

image.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I dont know what this would do to your plants, but I'd put some API fungus cure in.
The only issue is that it makes the whole tank green for a week or so and probably will have negative affects on your plants.
You can also try pimafix, which shouldnt hurt your plants.
Good luck!

MHMoro

CCA Members
If possible I will recommend removing the affected fish in a smaller (5-10 G) quarantine/treatment tank.

Manuel

Tangcollector

Staff member
I would definitely separate him and medicate him. If you don't have a smaller tank, I think I have one I can lend you. PM me if needed.

Becca

Members
Looks like Hexamita to me. You'd treat it with metronidazole, preferably food laced with metronidazole, which you can get from Batfish Aquatics locally or order online from Angels Plus or Peabody's Paradise.

It works much better when fed to fish than when used as a water treatment and won't harm your plants, etc.

chriscoli

Administrator
Hmmmm I'm not sure I agree with fungus or hex. I've seen similar things on fish and I think it's a complicated etiology, especially when I've seen them go from pimple to open sore. I think Batfish suggested a possible viral trigger, but may have even become an Aeromonas or other bacterial infection (often causes open ulcers). but it's really hard to diagnose those.

I agree with isolating in a smaller tank for treatment, with lots of water changes if possible. Acriflavine (the green stuff in Fungus Cure) is pretty good and knocking back some of the bacteria that cause ulcers. Furan 2 is usually my preferred go-to for ulcers at the moment.

Take a look at this link and read up on the meds. There's a lot to learn, and diagnosing fish is tricky.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Medication.html#bacteria

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I would suggest you use Melafix. it is great at repairing fins and open wounds. Pimafix is for fungus and can be used at the same time. If you use these, be sure to use them as directed. Basically use for a week minimum. If you use it less, the problem can come back.

Neither affect plants to my knowledge. They are both extracts of plants.