• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Unknown disease

npbarca

Members
I saw this on one of my keyholes yesterday. It's a little white indented patch above his left eye and on his forehead. I haven't seen any changes in behavior and he is eating well. Can anyone identify what this is and how it should be treated?

image.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I would at least treat with some polyguard and / or Metro until you know what it is for sure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I would not use meds until you have a better idea of what you are treating. I would add salt and raise the temperature a bit then monitor.
It looks like fungus but the pic is not great. Fungus is usually seconday to bacteria. When you post a better pic, people will be better suited to advise on treatment.

Metronidazole or sulfathiazole, if he's eating mix it with food. Treating internally is much more effective than through a bath. Metro is very safe so if it doesn't appear any better after one dose you can even double the second dose. Salt would also be benificial, salts my go to remedy for most external issues. Using the wrong medication is about the worst thing you can do but metro is a good bet.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I always isolate sick fish although most times by the time you notice the problem the others have been exposed to it. Usually the weaker fish are the most susceptible to catching it. I believe the sooner you isolate the better.

neut

Members
Other symptoms? Fast breathing, hanging in one spot, diminished apetite, etc?

At least as far as that photo appears to me, hexamita (as in hole in the head) wouldn't be my first thought. Externally, hexamita usually shows primarily or firstly in the sensory pits, whether appearing as small fungus like spots or creating eroded spots -- as in these images: ...link 1... link 2

It's possible that's just a scrape that's been attacked by bacteria/fungus-- if it's that simple, water change, salt, melafix, bucket baths with methylene blue, or other similar treatments would normally take care of it. I've also seen something like that appear with certain SA species when ph gets too far out of their range-- they can become susceptible to fungus/bacteria infections.

Everyone has their go to treatments they're going to recommend, but from my experience if it's something more than one those simpler possibilities I'd act fast and wouldn't rely on metro alone, since it has its limitations. See reference. I'd at least combine it with Kanamycin (page down in reference above) or go to something fairly wide spectrum (for example, Jungle Fungus Guard, or one of the combinations suggested on same page as above-- under Aquatronics)

npbarca

Members
I put him in a 5g quarantine tank and treated with Maracyn anti-fungal stuff. I am going to do 3 treatments of that, then proceed to a more concentrated medication if he is not looking better.

I had a keyhole with a weird dent in his head. I thought it was hole in the head. I pulled him and treated him separately but lost him.

npbarca

Members
Update: I noticed just now that the white crusty stuff has disappeared, and now the skin just looks raw and red. There is still a small dent.

Was the tank setup for a while? I've heard many stories of ammonia and nitrite causimg some erosion of the face. Always on newly setup tanks.

npbarca

Members
Update: Second treatment of Maracyn anti-fungal. The red area and dent have been covered by a white fluffy fungus. Still behaving the same as yesterday.

Greengirl

Members
After I find a fungal infection I dose the tank the fish came from with Hydrogen peroxide. I do a capful (usually 3-4ml) per 15g. My black angels developed some fungus on their body scales and it cleared right up with 5 day treatment of peroxide. I tend to add peroxide to my tanks on a weekly basis since it kills most common bacteria that harm fish.