• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Unexpected spawn!

Ading522

Members
New firemouth fry!:)

So, i was going to empty a tank and setup a tang species tank.. in it i had a firemouth pair.. and some rams along with a couple characins.. as i was draining the tank, i noticed mama fish was acting strange, and always hiding.. i thought she might be holding, but wasnt able to check.. this morning.. i noticed she didnt eat in her morning feeding, so i was excited that she might be holding.. two hours later, after coming home i wanted to check her but i discovered i had fry instead. I was surprised that it happened so fast! here are some pics!

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

Last edited:

Ading522

Members
should i separate the fry now? they dont have yolks now so that means they are more than a day old.. still cant believe how i did not notice this..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Any other fish in the tank? If so, and you want to grow out the fry, I'd remove some of them to their own tank. Watching cichlids be parents is one of the things I enjoy about the hobby, so I try to leave some of the fry with the parents as long as I can.

verbal

CCA Members
I guess that answers the question about the gender of the other firemouth :)

BTW firemouths and generally other Central American cichlids are what are called substrate spawners. This means they lay their eggs in a nest and usually both parents will guard the nest and fry.

Ading522

Members
Any other fish in the tank? If so, and you want to grow out the fry, I'd remove some of them to their own tank. Watching cichlids be parents is one of the things I enjoy about the hobby, so I try to leave some of the fry with the parents as long as I can.

I'm afraid to move the fry and parents as I have read some firemouths have killed their mates because they lost fry..I'll try to keep them their..just had to move the other fish..thanks for the advice Jon!

I guess that answers the question about the gender of the other firemouth :)

BTW firemouths and generally other Central American cichlids are what are called substrate spawners. This means they lay their eggs in a nest and usually both parents will guard the nest and fry.

Jesse, yeah this definitely does..I'm glad they've paired up..I read that firemouths were mouthbrooders..I will look into it..but thanks for the tip! :)

zackcrack00

Members
Add them to your list of successful spawns, bro! Now I am about to slowly raise the temp to 82 in my tank because I think it should induce spawning betwixt my Kribensis.