• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Under Water Housing For Cameras

longstocking

Members
I'm starting scuba certification sunday.

What I am wondering is if anyone has ever used the flexible underwater housings for their camera.

I can't see spending 500 dollars on a hard case for my camera... that just seems rediculous to me... since my camera isn't even worth that.

I don't need to take great pics... just some decent ones... so I can at least remember my dives ;)

Looks like someone is planing for a trip to the lakes in Africa. ;)

I have a 35mm underwater minolta camera I have used snorkeling in the Carribean. It probably would do just as good today for a casual dip anywhere.

It's yours as a loaner if you want to give it a try.

longstocking

Members
lol... well actually... that is the plan eventually :D Bill and I want to be "advanced divers" before we take that trip ;)

So first is a trip to the carribean, NC and PA ( those are the ones we know of )..... so it's going to be a long proccess.... but hopefully well worth it :blink:

I might take you up on that offer.... going to do a bit more research on these housings before I decided.

longstocking

Members
well.... I talked to the scuba guys over at the shop....

this is what I found out....

DON'T DO THIS LOL

In 2 months they destroyed 2 1,000 cameras... and broke one 1,000 housing. These guys are experts lol and they still did this.

I think I'm going to stick with the cheap 35mm and the housings....

They also said the flexible ones are crappy poo poo .... basically all underwater housings are use at your own risk. you need insurence lol ... and my guess... after the 3rd malfunction the insurence company would tell you to go take a hike !

For the first dive... I would love to borrow your camera bobby.... but if anything happened man oh man !!! So it think I'm just going to buy one.

Sarah, It's almost an antique. I don't think it was that expensive when I bought it. I'll brng it to the meeting and you and Bill can borrow it. If it works good enough for you, maybe we can work out a sale or trade. Or you just return it to me. Whatever.

rodcon00

Members
Hi Sarah

Glad to learn you are beginning the open water scuba certification. I have been certified for over ten years and have been playing around with underwater photography for about half that time. Do you know which scuba organization is going to provide the certification? (PADI, NAUI, YMCA, etc)

I have an old Sea & Sea camera setup that I am willing to loan you. It is an old time camera that takes film and comes with a very durable housing. It is really simple to keep the housing from flooding.

I am very concerned that the experts at your dive shop destroyed two cameras and a housing in a 2 month period. That seems to be unusual.

I'll bring the camera and case to the meeting on Saturday and I would be happy to show you how to put it together and safely use it. If you have any questions about scuba stuff feel free to e-mail me at rodcon00@yahoo.com

Rodney

longstocking

Members
I'm taking clases in Glen Burnie at the Scuba Hut.... if you know where that is. They are with SSI.

I did a fair amount of research.... it was between these guys (they've been in business for 34 years.... I hoping that's a good sign)... or the one in Annapolis.... they wanted over 600 dollars just for the certification.... seemed a bit rediculous to us.... since most of the other places were in the 300 range.

They told me how they flooded the cameras... kinda freak accidents... at least that's what it sounded like. They got a string of some sort caught where it closes... or something like that.... I can't remmber how they flooded the other one.... but it was stupid little mistakes it seems like. I have my air headed moments.... so I could see myself doing this as well.... lol... so I don't think I will be taking a chance lol.

Rodney... please bring the camera :) .... even if I don't want to take the chance... it would be good to have someone to talk to about scuba... and maybe to show Bill and I how to properly use the camera.

Bobby we might take you up on it as well.... so that both of us can take pics :)

rodcon00

Members
I do not know much about SSI or the Scuba Shack (of course I live in VA). I would be happy to bring the Sea & Sea camera to the meeting and show it to you and Bill.

If you have not been scuba diving before you may want to wait until after you complete the certification before you take along a camera.

I agree that 600 seems to be a fairly steep price to pay for an open water certification.

As for the flooded cameras a string or even a hair located on the O-ring that seals the housing will lead to a water logged disaster.

Anyway I am happy to share my knowledge and experience of scuba with you and Bill on Saturday.

longstocking

Members
MANY moons ago... lol....

I went diving and snorkling of the coast of Australia when I was living there.... BUT I was only 8 or so lol.

So I don't remember much to say the least.

It was actually off of Heron Island.... from what I've heard now that I'm older I pretty much topped out at 8 years old LOL was pretty cool... we took a helicopter to the island... was one of the best trips of my life.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I checked out pricing and info about 4 years ago. I figured I wanted to be certified before
Tracey and I went to Hawaii for our 25th. She backed out on me. Oh well. Ive been talking about it
for 25 years. I guess I never will get to do it. :(

longstocking

Members
Pat.... it really is incredible from what I remember.... it's like floating in outter space from what I remember.... but instead you get to watch fish. I think I'll be in heavn :)

With the price.... well.... it was my b-day gift from my dad.... he gets to pay for EVERYTHING lololol.... and if you don't know, certification is probably the cheapest part. The equipment is a never ending money pit.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The local place here holds one of your final tests in a quarry. It is dark. I think thats what Tray had a problem with. Being in water where you can not see. Who knows, maybe when I'm old and gray. Oh yeah, I am old and gray. :(

rodcon00

Members
I also do not like the idea of diving in a quarry (water is too damn cold). So you can do what is called a referral which means you do the classwork and pool dives here then when you go on vacation you can complete your certification dives at your chosen vacation location. That is what I did and it was a lot of fun completing the certification dives in warm tropical waters with lots of marine life hanging out watching.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Now that I may have been able to talk her into.
She loved the snorkeling, just floating aroung looking down.
I had a hard time getting her out of the water at Hanauma bay

longstocking

Members
Pat.... I really don't care where I get my certification..... but one thing that comes into play is when you buy your equipment. For different temperatures of water ... depending on the degree of variance .... you use different equipment up here than down in the Carribean. Equipment is expensive enough..... so buying 2 wetsuits gets a bit pricey.. along with boots ...gloves. Even if the place you go supplies the wetsuit.... sometimes they don't supply the gloves and boots .... 2 pairs of boots and gloves.... $260 (about) ... for the 2 of you.

I've come to the conclusion over the past few days.... it's just not worth getting certified up here unless you plan on diving in cold water a lot (we still aren't sure if we want to dive up here or not) . Go down to the outter banks in NC or something :D and have that mini vacation you deserve....use that 130 dollars for a good reason.... well that's how I'm looking at it LOL plus I can go see my dad at the same time... and give him a HUGE THANK YOU :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong Rodney on the equipment.

BWT pat.... through doing a bit of resarch I would recommend NOT going to the one up by you.... read a few posts about them on different forums... not the best rep.

rodcon00

Members
The reason I only dive in warmer water is that I do not have to use a wetsuit as long as the water is above the 70 degree range. In my opinion wet suits are overrated. Now if I dove every day I would absolutly invest in a wetsuit. But I must admit everywhere I go diving the people who work in the dive industry (i.e. on the boat or in the shop) can not believe I dive without a wetsuit.

The diving around here is very different than any of the warm water destinations because the visibility around here underwater is usually less than 5 feet and the temperature is well below the 70 degree level. As aresult you have to wear wetsuits (or even drysuits) to be able to handle the exposure to the cooler water.

As far as equipment I do not know if different equipment is needed here because of the water temperature differences (as long as you are not diving in the wintertime and yes there are people who dive in the quarries around here in the wintertime). Another advantage of diving in warm water locals only need one type of equipment. I try not to be an equipment hog because all my gear has to fit into one bag for travel purposes. I bought my own equipment about two years into diving (and to let you know it will never pay for itself money wise but it is your life support system once you are underwater) and I have the Regulator (Primary and Secondary), Octopus (guages/computer), BCD, Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Dive Booties, and a light. I bought the digital camera and housing more recently because I did not want to keep borrowing gear to support my underwater photography addiction. The main reason for buying your own equipment is familarity and comfort. For the most part it is far more economical to rent the gear if you are only diving a few times a year.

Pat Hanauma Bay is AWESOME!!! It is worth the price of admission. I have to admit that I wanted to snorkel all day long in Hanauma Bay when I was on Oahu. I had to come ashore when the leg cramps set in after about four hours. Awesome place went there three times during the week while on Oahu and it is probably the best snorkeling in Hawaii and the investment (one dolar) in the tram ride back up the hill is the best money spent on any vacation (think priceless)!

I know I am going to piss you guys off. But, I gotta tell ya. If I was a guest, checking out this site, and expected to see some photos of fish, this thread would be very disappointing.

Not very "photo" oriented.

longstocking

Members
lol.. im a mod... not going to piss me off :D :p ;) . Maybe move it to the members folder or the kick'n it lounge. I actually agree.... doesn't belong here.... but Rodney the one that actually knows what he is talking about doesn't have access.... so maybe the kick'n it lounge :)