• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Uh.. JD Love???

rich_one

Members
Okay. So, I got 3 JDs (thanks, BigZ). 2 males, 1 female. The smaller male has been told by the bigger male, in no uncertain terms, you are not welcome here. The female has now taken to the larger male.

And now the strange stuff. The larger male is moving substrate around like nobody's business. And he is starting to chase others away from that area.

Uh... I think some cichlid lovin' is about to go down...

-Rich

BIG_Z

Members
Thats one thing I will give him credit for within days of when I got him, stressed out and beat up, he still had makin babies on his mind.. Get ready for all the fry. I always pulled the fry and within a few days there would be more eggs. My record time with him and her was 4 spawns in 26 days LOL Lets hope he keeps his cool when the breeding starts.

rich_one

Members
If those fry survive a few days in that tank, I will be BEYOND shocked. You really think they can defend those fry from the number of predators in that tank?

-Rich

BIG_Z

Members
LOL If you don’t pull them they will more than likely get eaten. But he will not be happy with another fish chasing his babies and will not be afraid to voice that displeasure. If you don’t want to keep any I would pull them (He will be angry and hide for a few hours but then will go back to normal) Get another tank and grow your own feeders :D

verbal

CCA Members
I guess this will really put the angelfish experiment to the test.

Obviously the other JD is a potential target, but the oscar may be another one.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
If those fry survive a few days in that tank, I will be BEYOND shocked. You really think they can defend those fry from the number of predators in that tank?

-Rich
SOME WILL DEF GET EATEN BUT YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW WELL THEY DEFEND THEM. GREAT PARENTS. BETTER THEN SOME HUMANS THATS FOR SURE!

BIG_Z

Members
SOME WILL DEF GET EATEN BUT YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW WELL THEY DEFEND THEM. GREAT PARENTS. BETTER THEN SOME HUMANS THATS FOR SURE!

Those parents seem to produce some tough & hardy little fry, One of the ones I gave DQ lived with 3 5-6" RBPS in a 40 gallon from the 1/4" mark on (so much for considering it a feeder lol).

rich_one

Members
LOL... Wow. Well, we'll see what develops. Interestingly enough, he still ignores the angels, and mostly chases away the other cichlids. Maybe he doesn't realize the angels are a cichlid species? LOL...

Seriously, I'll monitor the activity, see what happens, and make adjustments as needed. I got a 150 gallon now, so I got flexibility! LOL...

-Rich

Lively

Members
Must be the time of year for Dempsey's! lol Some of the fry will survive they really are great parents.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Rich - Once things start heating up, you gotta get some pics and videos!

rich_one

Members
I think there is just too much for them to try to guard from for it to happen. Maybe when I get my centerpiece driftwood, or maybe if I do some rescaping to give them an easier area to defend. Though, I'm not sure how much I actually want it to happen... I really do not want the extra aggression either. Guess I'm torn. I even thought about splitting them up... but I feel like that would be mean. LOL...

-Rich