• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trying to figure out what this is

spazmattik

Members
I have tried to google the symptoms but the pictures I am finding don't quite match up to mine. Does anyone know what this is? It is really bad on this fish and a couple other fish have a couple growths like this now. Have been trying to use pimafix and melafix. Seemed to help for the fish only showing minor spotting but this guy isn't showing much of a response.

everyone is acting normal with no loss of appetite.

flohorn.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It's not a death sentence, is it?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Like any virus it can be dealt with if the fish survives it. The scares and damage will be there. But it's dangerous to the other fish in the tank. Also it's will target specific species in the tank...but can spread to all species if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
What kind of fish is it?

Looks like (viral) lympho to me. Make sure to sterilize stuff that you use on that tank... it spreads...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My experience is that it isn't necessarily fatal, but it never goes away. I have it in one of my tanks, and I really only see the symptoms on the fish that is on the bottom of the pecking order, which leads me to believe that the symptoms are brought on by stress. I cannot say that I've lost a fish to it, but I can say that I've lost fish that were getting picked on that displayed symptoms prior to death. I've had other fish show symptoms for short periods of time and then it goes away.

chriscoli

Administrator
are the blobs more cottony/fluffy or stiffer? Do you see them move with the current when the fish swims around?

spazmattik

Members
are the blobs more cottony/fluffy or stiffer? Do you see them move with the current when the fish swims around?

They appear stiffer. Its a flowerhorn Matt

I isolated this one because he has alot of spots. Couple of the other fish have 1-4 spots. A few have none at all. Not noticing a pattern in terms of size/dominance. Of the 3 smallest fish in the tank 2 of 3 dont have any signs. Of the 4 biggest, 3 of them have it.

chriscoli

Administrator
if they're stiff, then I go with the vote that it's lymph.

if they're soft and fluffy then it might be other things.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd try (individually) separating the ones with symptoms to reduce stress and see if it goes away. Mela and Pimafix can't hurt :)

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Unfortunately it's a virus, meds won't help, but you can def give their bodies the advantage by keeping the water clean, keeping them stress free, and feeding them well.
They should be able to recover but it might take a while

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spazmattik

Members
Thanks again for the advice on this everyone.

Since I moved the flowerhorn who had it the worst, everyone has gotten much better. Even the flowerhorn that was covered now only has 4-5 spots remaining. Other than that everyone looks clear except a fish with one spot and another with 2 or 3 spots. Aside from seperating the one fish, I have been adding salt and feeding metro pellets. I figured why not?

JLW

CCA Members
You can actually remove the tufts with a razor blade. DO NOT CUT THE FISH. Keep it in a net in the water and lightly scrape off the tufts. Put a dab of iodine (Lugol's) on it. Wait a second, and let the fish go.