• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tomocichla Asfraci

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think there's one guy (in Minnesota, I think) breeding them. He sold some at the ACA in Indy a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I don't think anyone local has any...and a good percentage of the fry that have been grown out display all sorts of deformities...

New blood is needed (or at least blood that's not producing deformities). They're from Panama, so no commercial collecting going on there that I know of...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Matt's comments are spot on as far as I know. The fry available at ACA in 2012 are the only time I have seen them available.

Vieja man

Members
Thanks Guys. If anyone finds any please let me know. I talked to Gage and Dan Ye and they said hard to find and costly. Gage said the same thing about the deformities and everyone is looking for a good blood line. These are some beautiful fish but for the cost they can not be deformed

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know that a few folks who picked up the fry have some that are not deformed, but a bulk of them were. What makes it even tougher with this species is that they are slow growers and slow to get to maturity. I believe the last thread that I saw with the grow outs from ACA had the fish in the 3-4" range, a full 18 months later. Pretty sure that Duanes has some growing out.

rich_one

Members
Dude, tried to look into these a few months ago, and ran into the same road blocks. Good luck with your search.

-Rich

dogofwar

CCA Members
The guy who sold them sold them relatively inexpensively (a few bucks each, I think).... Just not a lot of them around.

Matt

Vieja man

Members
i keep hearing bad things about these fish. not sure if i should pursue them. ive heard from different sources about deformities,expensive, and slow growth rate. everyone says the same thing. must not be worth the hastle.