• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Third time a charm

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
GBR eggs can hatch and the fry fall into the substrate or the parents move them, so you might not see them until they are free swimming in about 3 days. During that time the parents need a bit of light at night so they can protect them from being eaten by others in the tank.

If they are in a well planted tank, they will likely find enough microorganisms to feed on. If not and you want to supplement, you can raise paramecium by putting a crushed lettuce leaf in a quart of water and in about a week you will get a bloom of paramecium. Of course it is probably too late to do that with a batch that just hatched. [I do sell paramecium, but there is no meeting coming soon.] The other way to go is if you have a sponge filter somewhere in operation, take it out and put it in a bucket with a half gallon or a gallon of water, squeeze it out about 6 times, you should get a brown to black mix. Put the sponge back where it came from. Let the brown water set for a couple hours. The debris will settle, but the clear liquid will contain a lot of microorganisms. Feed about a cup of this liquid to the fry once or twice a day. Then after about 3 days, start feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Cyianara69

Members
Only thing in the tank now are the GBRs, 5 albino cory cats and a BN plec ..... will they eat the fry??? Also, it takes like 40 hours for the eggs to hatch correct?

verbal

CCA Members
Your BN won't eat the fry. The cories might, although they probably won't once they are free-swimming.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The corys will probably eat the wigglers if the parents do not defend them. Leave a moon light on or .... Once they are free swimming as Jesse said they should be OK with the corys. Time to hatch does depend on temp. I do not know hours but I would say about two days, so about what your suggested.

Frank :)

Cyianara69

Members
Alas, got home last night and the eggs were gone, parents were free swimming without a care in the world. We'll see what happens in 8 days when they spawn again .........