• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Think it's time to clean the tank?

chriscoli

Administrator
Perhaps things have gone too far when the hydra are riding around on the snails.

For what it's worth though, this tank has a lot of really tiny baby plecos that make a huge mess when they eat. Nonetheless, it has been slated for complete tear-down for a few weeks.

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Bruce laughed and did a little imitation of being a hydra holding the reins on the snail, and saying "giddy-up!"

mchambers

Former CCA member
You seem to have recurring hydra issues. I've never seen them in my tanks, but maybe I've just missed them?

chriscoli

Administrator
I think they get introduced on plants, most likely. They flourish under conditions where there are lots of fine particulates in the water. In this tank's case....since I'm raising baby plecos, they are getting fed Extreme Catfish Scrapers, which I find fall apart easily once in the water, and the babies really get them to disperse into the water column very quickly in their feeding frenzy.

They can indicate a problem, but I find that in my tanks it usually just means that I'm feeding something that creates particulates and that I need to vacuum the substrate more often.

chriscoli

Administrator
I believe the key concepts here are:

1. really small size food/particles
2. lots of them

If you have a combination of these two things, the hydra are happy.

A pretty easy fix is to not overfeed.