• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The algae eating capabilities of amano shrimp

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Just wanted to show an example of the algae eating capabilities of amano shrimp.

Piece of wood with moss infested with bba:

2 days later after being added to a tank with 50 amano shrimp (subadult/1" my holding tank for sales):

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Do they eat hair algae to? I need to de-algae-fy some(yeah I made that up) and don't want to go strand by strand extracting algae from the moss like I did before.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I want five for my daughters tank. She has a few RCS and and a pair of Apistogramma Agassizzi.

chris_todd

Members
Yeah, there's a reason Takashi Amano loves them (aside from the fact that they look pretty cool, and get quite large). I wish they were as easy to breed as Red Cherries...

Rachel, do you know whether the ones you get in are wild caught, or captive bred? I'm not sure I've seen any reports of successful breeding from amateurs... apparently they need brackish conditions to hatch the eggs (a la Nerite snails)?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow. That sure is an impressive before and after shot.

I would love to try some of these guys out, but fear that they'd become expensive rainbowfish food in my big planted tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
at this size that is likely. I keep adult amanos with my adult discus. Amano shrimp get about 2" at adult size and their capabilities only increase with their size. Also, they have a pretty long lifespan of 3 years or so so although they do not reproduce, they do live quite awhile in tanks. I have some that I have had for 3 years already and they are still going strong. They are also easy to supplement should they eat all your algae and are completely plant and fish safe.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That's good to know, Rach. I have a 20G planted tank with a group of 1"-1.5" demasoni and a 2" leleupi. This they'd get munched in there?

msjinkzd

invert junkie
and 2 more days later, no visible algae left at all.
amano algae update 001.jpg

amano algae update 002.jpg

For those who wanted me to bring some, please shoot me a pm so I don't forget

amano algae update 001.jpg

amano algae update 002.jpg