• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suitable Tankmates for Gold Ocellatus?

YSS

Members
I have 7 gold occies in a 20G. (got them from Jose a while back. :)) The tank is in my daughter's room and she would like to get some more fish in the tank. Can anyone recommend good tankmates? Thanks!

F8LBITE

Members
Ive kept them with Julies and Calvus' but that was in a 36x18 50G. The 20G might be too cramped for them with another species. Have they bred for you yet?

YSS

Members
Ive kept them with Julies and Calvus' but that was in a 36x18 50G. The 20G might be too cramped for them with another species. Have they bred for you yet?

I have seen a couple of gals (I think) guarding the shells on a couple of different occasions, but haven't seen any fry. Also, as for the tank mates, I was looking for some fish that would occupy middle and top water columns. Don't necessarily have to be Tangs or even cichlids.

mrkillie

Members
I have 7 gold occies in a 20G. (got them from Jose a while back. :)) The tank is in my daughter's room and she would like to get some more fish in the tank. Can anyone recommend good tankmates? Thanks!

Many goodeids will do well in hard alkaline water - should be some at the ACLC meeting on Saturday.

Joel

F8LBITE

Members
I have seen a couple of gals (I think) guarding the shells on a couple of different occasions, but haven't seen any fry. Also, as for the tank mates, I was looking for some fish that would occupy middle and top water columns. Don't necessarily have to be Tangs or even cichlids.

Ive got about 15 White clouds in my 120G, if you can catch them you can have them.

YSS

Members
Ive got about 15 White clouds in my 120G, if you can catch them you can have them.

Funny. I had white clouds in the tank that I just moved to my Son's tank as I didn't think they "fit" in with the occies.

longstocking

Members
you could try dwarf rainbows...

Dwarf danios...

or even some tetras :)

I've heard rasboras (sp?.. the red dithers lol ) do fine in shelly tanks ... brett on c-f uses them but I personally have never tried it.

YSS

Members
you could try dwarf rainbows...

Dwarf danios...

or even some tetras :)

I've heard rasboras (sp?.. the red dithers lol ) do fine in shelly tanks ... brett on c-f uses them but I personally have never tried it.

Thanks Sarah. I guess other top-mid dwelling fish from the African Lakes is not a good option, like Paracyps?

Jumbie

Members
Thanks Sarah. I guess other top-mid dwelling fish from the African Lakes is not a good option, like Paracyps?

I think you would need a bigger tank if you want to put the Paracyps in with them. A school of Danios would look nice.

YSS

Members
Thanks for the feedback. If I were to add the paracyps what would be the minimum tank size and how many should I get?