• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suggest some stock additions....

olzkool

Members
Most of you know from previous posts I recently set up another tank. An all male Mbuna. I currently have all juvie males and would like to make some additions while they are still young, in hopes to curb the aggression caused by adding them later, when these are all young adults. I am shooting for around 30 fish or so, knowing in time I may have to relocate some bullies and may experience loss due to aggression. It is entirely possible this could go very wrong at any time. I am well aware of that. As you can tell from my stock list, my goal was an all male tank with single individuals from as many species as possible. Probably to my own detriment, ignoring similar colors and patterns, and the risks that go along with doing that. If it works, it will be one awesome tank.
Inadvertently, I have already broken my own rules for the tank. I accidentally purchased a second Labidochromis chisumulae "clown" because I forgot I already had one. A fellow member gave me another Chewere when I bought a bunch of peacocks and haps from him. Two of the White top Hara's I had ended up being male, and I couldn't bring myself to getting rid of one of them. Looking at the tank currently, it is really "blue" so I have been thinking of adding a couple more Metriaclima esthaere to break up the colors a little. The one I have just screams "look at me!" with the current stock.

So......Please give me your suggestions on what to add, and if you know of anyone here who may have them.. I have a little room left.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Current Stock: (all male, 1 of each unless noted)

Metriaclima sp. "Mbweca"
Tropheops sp. "Elongatus Boadzulu" Kanchedza island
Labidochromis sp. "hongi"
Pseudeotropheus sp. "Perspicax Orange cap" Ndumbi
Labidochromis chisumulae "clown" Chizumulu Island
Labidochromis chisumulae (has a pale yellow top at the moment)
Metriaclima estherae "cherry red"
Metriaclima sp. "Lime Nkhomo" Mbenji
Pseudotropheus demasoni Pombo Rocks
Pseudotropheus sp. ''Elongatus Spot'' Hai Reef ''Jewel Spot''
Metriaclima sp. ''Elongatus Chewere'' Chewere (2)
Metriaclima sp. ''Daktari'' Hai Reef
Cynotilapia sp. ''Hara'' Gallireya Reef (2)
Labidochromis Perlmutt
Albino Scofoli
Cynotilapia sp "elongatus Taiwan" taiwan reef
Pseudotropheus sp. "polit" Lion's cove
Iodotropheus sprengerae ''Rusty''
Labidochromis caeruleus Lion's Cove ''Yellow Lab''
Pseudotropheus flaus Chinyankwazi
Cynotilapia afra "Cobue" (getting from RastaFish Saturday)

These are too small to sex so I have them in a growout tank until I can tell if they are males:

Cynotilapia sp. "lion" Lion's cove
Cynotilapia sp. "Lion" Sanga
Metriaclima glaucos Kanjindo (getting from Chriscoli Saturday)

Some ideas of what I could get if anyone has any:

Cynotalapia axelrodi nkhata bay
Metriaclima sp. "elongates chailosi" Chitande
Metriaclima sp "hojomaylandia Pombo" Pombo Rocks
Metriaclima sp. "zebra chilumba" Maison reef
Psuedotropheus sp. chilumba
Psudeotropheus sp. Williamsi North" Makonde
Was thinking about a Mangaino but I would have to get someone willing to vent one for me since they are so hard to tell sex.

Ading522

Members
sounds like you already have a nice stock list.. although i do not keep mbuna, im sure they all look great! post some pics.. by the way, i was at house of tropics a couple days ago, and they have some. p.williamsi north.. you should check them out..

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds like a fun tank for sure.

How are you certain that the first group is all males? A lot of those are sexually monomorphic...

I'd add a large syno to clean up errant hybrid fry (it will happen).

olzkool

Members
Sounds like a fun tank for sure.

How are you certain that the first group is all males? A lot of those are sexually monomorphic...

I'd add a large syno to clean up errant hybrid fry (it will happen).

A handful I grew out and are obvious males, or they are in another tank still growing out. They're are only 2 I do not know yet. The Permutt and the Albino Scofoli. I will have to wait it out on the Scofoli and try and vent it. The rest came from Dave's and were guarunteed males. The ones he could not guaruntee yet are the ones I am growing out in a separate tank.

I definitely should get a Syno anyway, good suggestion.