• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Struggling Bolivian Ram

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got a female Bolivian ram that has been struggling for a couple of months. Until then, she and the father of her children had been spawning every month or two.

One day, I noticed she was sitting on the substrate and very inactive. At first I thought maybe her mate had been picking on her (he usually took sole custody of the kids), but saw no signs of aggression. After a week or so, I moved her to a tank with some Cory fry (limited space options right now). She continued to sit on the substrate. Her stomach is a little sunken; her fins might be characterized as clamped slightly. Earlier this week, I was surprised to see her swimming around and aggressively eating. I thought maybe she was recovering, but Tuesday night she was back to sitting on the bottom.

I've been thinking it is probably just that she is old (I think she is at least 3 years old,but am not sure). I suppose there could be another cause, however, hence this thread. None of the other fish that have shared a tank with her have any obvious health issues, however.

Discuss.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had similar issue with a female chocolate cichlid. One night I came home to see her sitting on the bottom of the tank. She was unable to "float", but still able to use her tail to swim from spot to spot. There was no sign of aggression that caused the issue and I chalked it up to some sort of failure of the swim bladder. She live in a community tank with a bunch of big fish for almost a year before I euthanized her. She never recovered, but managed to stay alive by grabbing the occassional pellet that would float her way. I felt terrible that I couldn't do anything to help her condition.

Sorry that I don't have any good advice, but I know what you are talking about.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Been there

Her WC parents just passed from old age in the last few months following lengthy periods of similar behavior, so she's old if not quite ancient. That being said, it's the mileage not the years, and there's a lot of variation among individuals with respect to longevity.

Gently come the long night...

zcfish

Members
Some of my rams are doing the same thing. They last quite a few weeks not eating. I guess that's how they go from old age.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Silver lining

Agonizing as it may be/is, any fish that does of old age is a tribute to his/her lord and master's craft. Was about a year ago that I realized I had reached a point where I was losing more fish to natural causes than operator error - apologies to the victims of my former ignorance/folly.

"Tis not sorrow or shame but rather satisfaction that should accompany the natural passing of the Kept, and mild glory wherein progeny endure." - Reproductive Perspectives, Chapter III, Volume 11, Encyclopedia Aquatica

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, I agree, and thank you for the perspective. I just wanted to rule out, if possible, something other than old age, in case I could treat the cause. I guess I will be running a fish hospice.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Update: she is spending far less time on the bottom and more time swimming, and is actively eating. She even snipped at one of her children last night. I am hopeful for a vigorous old age for her.

I've been feeding that tank mostly Cobalt Aquatics food, on the theory that the probiotics might help her in particular.