• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Strange swimming - Pointing Up

Hawkman2000

Members
My Turquoise Jewels are starting to swim strangely. The female is always pointing up.

I did a 20% change, and added melafix.

Any other suggestions?

[YT]6PJfBe6jazs[/YT]

T

tug

That looks wrong. :eek:
Check if your heater is malfunctioning but this could be bacterial.
What size tank and filter do you keep hawk?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tug

Some bladder problems can cause similar behavior in fish suffering from food impaction. If you think food impaction might be the cause, a simple fix in many cases, probably by loosening food impaction, is to take a soft, cooked pea (either fresh, canned or frozen and then cooked), crush it and feed it to the fish. If this does not work, do not feed the fish for a few days, since fasting should also clear any food impaction.

As with any other disease or medical condition, it is important to always ensure the water quality in the tank is good. A partial change of water is a good idea, even after the pea trick works.

Hawkman2000

Members
That looks wrong. :eek:
Check if your heater is malfunctioning but this could be bacterial.
What size tank and filter do you keep hawk?

Its a 20 long with an Eclipse hood. The filter is good up to 37 gallons. Plus the modifications I made to it, probably 50 or more.

My temp is about 80f. Should I turn it down?

I've had them in there for about 3 years. 7 or 8 spawns, no problems.

I can't really do the fasting thing. there's about 50 or so juvies with them. I'll be transferring them very soon though.

I also increased salt dosing a touch.

T

tug

Not ready to start adding cinnamon bark just yet.

For breeding in a 20, in 80f water, right, fine. I might use something a little deeper with plants. But, mating anywhere is stressful, having children, stressful. Lower the temp. When you're not trying to breed those two lovebirds, set it around 77-78f. If you can, isolate one of them to another tank - in this case maybe the male.

You can tell from looking that the male loves her dearly. Keep any eye on him too. You might want to look into that CL listing for the 90g.

Water quality, air to breath and less stress - add a sponge filter to the tank, maybe two. Prep the filter you're using in the juvies tank. Once the juvies are sold, you'll have the place back in order. You'll be alright.

If you try the pea idea, I've never tried more then one pea. One too many peas, might be a bad idea. :D

T

tug

What food are you feeding E1? They look like they're getting big.
The filter is good up to 37 gallons. Plus the modifications I made to it, probably 50 or more.
Flow is easier to understand. What would that be about?
Did they stay in this tank for all of those three years?

Hawkman2000

Members
What food are you feeding E1? They look like they're getting big. Flow is easier to understand. What would that be about?
Did they stay in this tank for all of those three years?

Feeding is a big mix

NLS Cichlid pellets
Hikari - Gold, Bio-Gold, Excel, Staple
Cobalt Cichlid flakes

They have been in that tank the entire three years

Filter does 250 gph, with a ton of bio media (both submersed and aerated.

I'll try turning the temp down over the next couple days.