• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

stocking suggestions

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
This morning I finished setting up my 29 and I was wondering what to stock it with. I'd wan't to breed it and I would like it to be a sa or ca cichlid but I'm willing to try something new.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It would have to be a dwarf cichlid. You could have a pair of Bolivian rams or a pair of Rainbow cichlids.

You also could try German blue rams or apistos, but they tend to be more finicky about water conditions.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A larger tank would be better for thorichthys. Might be okay when they are young, but it really isn't a lot of real estate for an adult pair.

dogofwar

CCA Members
How about some wild-type cons - I've got a bunch of different kids... Perfect for a 29g...

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Would it be ok to put a festae or pearsi pair in a 55, then a 120 and a pair of salvini or bartoni in the 29 and if nesecary move them into the 55 once they are full grown?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Daniel,

I think you would be looking at a lot of dead fish if you go down that path. Festae, bartoni, and salvani are all on the high end of the aggression scale in my opinion. Buying fish without having a long term place to house them is risky (and I know, I am guilty myself). I think you would be better off getting fish to fit the tanks you have now. Salvani would do well in the 55. Just put them in there now and get your pearsei or festae or bartoni when you have the 120. For your 29, go with fish that can live in there for life. A cryptoheros pair, rainbow pair, or other dwarf cichlid would be a good choice. You could also look into some of the west african species available, as they would fit the bill as well.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I already have the 120, the only reason I can't put in some pearsi or festae is because the 120 currently has a 14 inch arowana who will be going to a new home in the coming months. And the festae is only 4 inches and the pearsi are 5 so I thought theyed be ok in a 55 for a little bit and the bartoni would only be 1 inch (I'd order them from coa in the group buy). But don't bartoni only max out at about 6-7 inches?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Bartoni are killers. The group that Rusty Wessel has in his fishroom are in a 265 and a breeding pair kept all the other fish (including a group of 12"+ frontosa) pinned in the upper corner of the tank. A 55 will simply end up in a dead female eventually.

blkmjk

Members
How about some wild-type cons - I've got a bunch of different kids... Perfect for a 29g...

Matt

The Convicts that Matt has at his disposal are awesome. I highly recommend them for a 29. I have some mixed in some of my big boy tanks and I am loving it! The lake Grenada are the best looking so far and they don't take crap from anyone! Think they are going to spawn soon as well!

Drew

blkmjk

Members
I already have the 120, the only reason I can't put in some pearsi or festae is because the 120 currently has a 14 inch arowana who will be going to a new home in the coming months. And the festae is only 4 inches and the pearsi are 5 so I thought theyed be ok in a 55 for a little bit and the bartoni would only be 1 inch (I'd order them from coa in the group buy). But don't bartoni only max out at about 6-7 inches?

Well the problem with sticking these fish together is that one day they are fine...Then you come home and find your prize fish dead...if your ok with that risk then put what ever you want together. Yes small bartoni will be ok in a 29 gallon tank for a while. How long??? Anybody's guess??? How long before losses,due to aggression??? You'll find that you will have to learn the hard way. I did. With cichlids all of the good advice in the world can't stop all of the losses you will have in your fish keeping days. Point is purchase wisely. And more important stock wisely. Your fish are depending on you. good luck and keep us updated on what ever you decide please...

Drew

Becca

Members
Dicrossus... Jeff Michels had pairs, last I checked (http://aquaticclarity.com/). He also tends to have lots and lots of dwarf cichlids :).

You could also try Badis badis (if you can find females), which were once thought to be cichlids, or any of the several Dario species that Rachel has available regularly.

If you like cichlids, and fish with a bit of attitude, any of the smaller varieties of Ctenopoma would fit the bill, too. They are a labyrinth fish found in Africa.