• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stalsbergi Peru Green Terror

Ericj7182

Members
Cool fish planning on breeding them?

Drew

Absolutely. I'm surfing the net to find info on their grow rates. Right now I have them eating dainichi color supreme/fx nls and new era Central American cichlid. I may add dainichi veggie. I want them to grow at an even steady pace, so they come out healthy as adults. Figure after I get a breeding pair I'll sell off the others.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
I haven't kept or bred these guys but I've heard that these guys are harder on each other than A. rivulatus. They're omnivorous.

Here's what CRC says about their habitat: http://www.cichlidae.com/species.php?id=2308

Habitat: Small rivers that flow from the western part of the Andes into the Pacific Ocean. These small rivers are formed by big gradient courses of water and quiet pools, Andinoacara stalsbergi is normally found in the pools, the rivers may increase their flow significantly during the rainy season. The pH of the water is on the alkaline side with a value of 8 or more common, water is also hard. The temperature can be cool during the rainy season and warm up in the pools. No aquatic plants are present but algae is found growing on the rocks. Regularly, the susbtrate is composed by sand, rocks and boulders. Andinoacara stalsbergi are also found in the wider slow flowing tracks of the rivers close to their entrance to the sea, where the substrate becomes muddy.

They are open substrate spawners. I'd bet that they'll start spawning at 3" or so. When they start courting, I'd do a big, cool water change to simulate the rainy season...

Matt

Ericj7182

Members
I haven't kept or bred these guys but I've heard that these guys are harder on each other than A. rivulatus. They're omnivorous.

Here's what CRC says about their habitat: http://www.cichlidae.com/species.php?id=2308

Habitat: Small rivers that flow from the western part of the Andes into the Pacific Ocean. These small rivers are formed by big gradient courses of water and quiet pools, Andinoacara stalsbergi is normally found in the pools, the rivers may increase their flow significantly during the rainy season. The pH of the water is on the alkaline side with a value of 8 or more common, water is also hard. The temperature can be cool during the rainy season and warm up in the pools. No aquatic plants are present but algae is found growing on the rocks. Regularly, the susbtrate is composed by sand, rocks and boulders. Andinoacara stalsbergi are also found in the wider slow flowing tracks of the rivers close to their entrance to the sea, where the substrate becomes muddy.

They are open substrate spawners. I'd bet that they'll start spawning at 3" or so. When they start courting, I'd do a big, cool water change to simulate the rainy season...

Matt

Thanks for the information, I can't wait to see these guys growout :)

My first Green Terror was Stalsbergi, but it wasn't called that name and I thought it was a lower quality green terror. Stalsbergi soon dissappeared from the trade and replaced by the more colorful red saum until recently importers reintroduced them. Not only the color pattern is different, the sickle shaped dorsal fin is unique and differentiate it from the red saum.

wsaum.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Great pic of a beautiful fish. I purchased six stalsbergi from Rapps months ago. They were harsh on each other and I was soon left with two. Sadly those two caught a bacterial infection and perished while receiving treatment. I plan on trying them again in the future.

Ericj7182

Members
Great pic of a beautiful fish. I purchased six stalsbergi from Rapps months ago. They were harsh on each other and I was soon left with two. Sadly those two caught a bacterial infection and perished while receiving treatment. I plan on trying them again in the future.

Would you say they are hard on each other like juvenile festae? Festae are the only fish I have that I've grown out from 1.5". I've also got Cubans, RTMs, and La Ceiba Yellowheads. Aggression wise where would you say they would rate?

Ericj7182

Members
My first Green Terror was Stalsbergi, but it wasn't called that name and I thought it was a lower quality green terror. Stalsbergi soon dissappeared from the trade and replaced by the more colorful red saum until recently importers reintroduced them. Not only the color pattern is different, the sickle shaped dorsal fin is unique and differentiate it from the red saum.

Beautiful pic. Love the hump I hope the males grow ones like that.