• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So we have secret laws now?!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
For those of you inclined to travel with live fish in your carry-on luggage, I received this several hours after making an inquiry as suggested in another post. However, the rider at the end of the message expressly forbids it being copied or shared with anyone, presumably including TSA employees and officials. So just to be clear, you're not reading this, it wasn't posted and above all do not discuss or print out what isn't here to share with any TSA personnel who might be unfamiliar with the current status of federal regulations regarding flying (with) fish. Sheesh.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration’s policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.

Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller and fit comfortably in a single, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag (3-1-1 rule).

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) allows an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear,
spill-proof glass or plastic container. This allows Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint. If the fish is observed as alive and swimming, then the liquid is not considered an explosive and will be permitted through the checkpoint. The container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. In addition, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Passengers can go directly to these tips at www.TSATravelTips.us.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

NOTICE: The information contained in this message and any attachments is privileged and confidential and therefore protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent who is responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Senture does not accept liability for changes to this message after it was sent. The views expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying via e-mail to this message and deleting this information from your computer.

WendyFish

Members
In reward of your brazen subversiveness in asking what our policies actually are, we regret to inform you that this message will self destruct in 5... 4... 3...

Charlutz

Members
Actually it says you can't disseminate it if you are not the intended recipient. Since it was sent to you, Sam, you can distribute it, especially since it's quoting public law. That aside, the more practical problem is whether the TSA employees manning the security check are familiar with the law and whether you can be confident that they'll let you on the plane with bags of fish or whether it's easier to check them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Yes yes

I just resent the "one size fits all" approach to disclaimers being attached to public information documents. Am guessing its probably nigh impossible to send an email from many federal computers without such...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
For some perhaps

part of my solution to traveling, of which I am required to do a lot, is not to check bags (overseas collecting trips exempted).

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sam is correct - TSA has a policy that allows carry on of fish (per the rules above).

Of course, many TSA folks probably don't know the rules. Best thing to do is to print out the rules from the TSA website...

Matt

This thread was also posted in the PVAS forum.

It was advised that you also contact the airline that you are travelling with. Supposedly JetBlue will not allow carry-on fish even if you pass the TSA inspection. It was also advised that you print out a copy of the TSA rules about being able to carry-on fish, because apparently not all agents are informed of this rule.

Arlene

Plenipotentiary-at-large
So there

Of course, many TSA folks probably don't know the rules. Best thing to do is to print out the rules from the TSA website...

Matt

Them's the rules, 'twas why I posted it - but a page off their website would be even better. I sure couldn't find it and bet you can't either - not in under 20 minutes - if it indeed exists. Ready? Go - - -

What are we betting anyway? You have to decide before you start looking.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great post from Ted Judy:

http://tedsfishroom.com/2011/11/08/educate-tsa/

I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work...

On the www.tsa.gov webpage, there is a box about 2/3 of the way down on the right that says, "Can I bring my (fill in the box) through the security checkpoint?" Type in live fish or pet fish or fish...and it will give you the special instructions. Print it out and you should be good to go...

Matt

PS Other than a flight on El Al, I can't think of the last time that an airline (and not TSA) searched my carry on bags. If you're through security and your carry on meets the size restrictions for the airline, how in the world would the airline know whether you have fish or a bottle of water you purchased at the airport?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
In my experience...

...bottles of liquid get intercepted during x-ray screening about 99& of the time.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
So clever you are

I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work...

On the www.tsa.gov webpage, there is a box about 2/3 of the way down on the right that says, "Can I bring my (fill in the box) through the security checkpoint?" Type in live fish or pet fish or fish...and it will give you the special instructions. Print it out and you should be good to go...

Matt

And it says:

Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.
Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane

Someone had written to JetBlue regarding their no fish allowed policy, and they got this response:

Dear Insert Your Name,

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Airways regarding our pet regulations. We appreciate the opportunity to answer any questions you may have.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to bring your fish on board. At this time JetBlue allows only dogs or cats on board as pets. We will definitely forward your comments to our Inflight Leadership and possibly in the future this could change.
Thank you for choosing JetBlue and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Jenn R.
Customer Commitment Crew
JetBlue Airways
Crewmember 83902

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think we're talking (typing) past each other:

Before you can get to your gate (and after you receive your boarding pass), you go through airport security, where TSA screens you and your carry on bags. If you have any checked bags, the airline has already taken them.

Once you pass TSA screening (and put your shoes, belt, etc. back on), you are free to go to your gate and wait for your time to board the airplane.

(Other than El Al), I've never had someone from an airline screen my carry on bags.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
D*mmit Gumby

How did the airlines gets involved in this? But for that matter, neither have I, nor ever heard tell of such until you and El Al. I had you pegged for an anti-Zionist from the start.

dogofwar

CCA Members
El Al does its own screenings / questioning / pat downs, etc. both at check in and pre-boarding (after TSA screening).

Pretty intense stuff (I was on a flight from SF to NYC...that continued on - without me - to Tel Aviv).

Matt

How did the airlines gets involved in this? But for that matter, neither have I, nor ever heard tell of such until you and El Al. I had you pegged for an anti-Zionist from the start.