• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Siquia spawn

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
A few days ago my female siquia had a very swolen stomach and her "tube" was down, so was the males. 2 days ago the female wasnt as plump anymore and her tube was back up. I checked around and inside a cave in the tank, were eggs! The opening of the cave is pretty small and I'm not sure if the male can fit in there so the eggs might not be fertilized. Unfortunately the small opening also makes it hard to take pics. They are still protecting them with their lives so we'll see.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great - what variant of siquia are they?

Male doesn't need to get in the cave but his swimmers do :)

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Well after dinner I went over to the tank just to see how they where doing and inside the cave -on the right side- there where 200-300 wigglers being ferociously guarded by their mom. I am so pumped that the spawn was successful. The only bad new is that my family and I are going to south carolina for a week on saturday and the fish sitter is only soming twice in the week. Is it possible that the fry could survive so long without food? Assuming they become free swimming while Im gone.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've had good success with raising fry with their parents as long as there aren't predators in the tank. Sponge filters are a good source of food for fry as well.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
The fry are now free swimming! I divided the pair and the fry have already eaten. The female spat out the pellets I fed her so the fry could eat. The fry where all over it! I'm sorry for the terrible pictures but I got 2 teeth pulled so my mom had to take them with her phone since all I can really do is lie around and eat icecream:D
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
thanks, I really hope they survive while Im gone. Also, this spawn seems allot smaller than those of my old texas and jack dempsey. The texas and jd's spawns had 500-600 babies and the siquia's spawn has more like 200 fry.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Well done, Dan. I've not seen amatitlania/cryptoheros spawns much more than 100-150 eggs. Remember, the female is only 3" or so? Bigger fish will have bigger spawns.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks!
thats true. The female isnt much more than 2.5" and my old jack dempsey was well over 6". She's gotten extremely aggressive. Whenever someone walks by the tank she colors up and flares her gills. The male does the same.