• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sexing and behavior

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So I just introduce another cichlid into the tank "she" got lots of attention from the large male bumblebee cichlid shimmy and shake but that wore of fast now just tons of chasing?
Anyone else notice similar behaviors?
Lol prob all cichlid owners
Just curious if males have ever danced for other males

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
When males choose a spawning area,they put on colors and do the dance.. Not all male fish have bright awesome colors but I guess they have their own "tux n tie" to impress.. If the female seems to hesitate ,the male chases her away,does some improvements to the site and goes back to dancing.. I guess that he's chasing her because she's not noticing him.. Just my two cents.. Lol

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Lol frustrated from trying to court a lady I see...he hasn't danced for her in a while I think he gave up he also stopped building his nesting site

Must have been one hard let down for him to give up so fast lls

Ading522

Members
Lol..prolly building up more courage..hell try again sometime..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've seen male mbuna doing the shimmy for other males before. It's a dominance thing.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
That's good to know. Most of my dominant males just look brighter have longer pectoral fins with really beefy looking bodies (only way I can describe it)
Fist time I have ever thought about introducing a "female" (not sure if it is one)
I've bred convicts those are worst than guppies they just don't stop might as well be the energizer bunny they just kept going.... Lls