• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sexing acaras and latacara

mscichlid

Founder
I need some pointers. HOT has blue acaras, ports and latacara and I don't want to buy six of each. For one thing, I don't have the space and buying 18 fish is not in my budget even with the discount.

verbal

CCA Members
You might be able to determine a pair by behavior. Another method might be to take the biggest one and the smallest one out of the group. I think a lot of CA cichlids the males tend to have dorsal and anal fins that are a little more pointed.

mscichlid

Founder
True that. The males are easy to figure out. One becomes dominant everytime a dominant gets sold. It's the female that is difficult.

The ports and latecara show no differances at all!

rsretep

Members
franny I have six Laetacara and have no idea which is which (cant seem to tell any difference) i keep mine with some gymno. balzanni and some geo brazillianes

dogofwar

CCA Members
Blue acaras aren't particularly dimorphic, although, as you found, males are easier to pick out than females (longer extensions, dominant behavior). I'd go for a couple of the smaller ones in the group and chances are you'll find a female.

The Laetecara are similarly difficult to sex. A group of 4 will give you a pair.

As an aside, I've killed more Laetecara than I'm happy to say by mixing them with too aggressive fish (just about any cichlid other than really mild ones)... The true dorsigera with a wine-colored belly are awesome :)

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You got this

I've managed to go something like 4 for 4 on picking cichlid pairs out of tanks containing groups of single species just on the basis of behavior. On the assumption that males display the most dominant behavior, I watch to see whom the alpha males alternatively persecute and ignore. Other males command most of their attention, and while females may not be immune from male aggression, seems they are generally tolerated in relative terms. So when I see individuals drift into an alpha's sphere and be tolerated, or notice a male swim past another fish to harass a second, I imagine the object of inattention to be female. Females also seem to a bit more tolerant of proximity to their own gender as even sub-dominant males are often concerned with hierarchy.

It's worked so far, biggest problem is netting out the designated females once the whole tank goes into panic mode upon introduction of a net.

Just trust that faultless feminine intuition Girl - you know, it's that thing you ignored when you agreed to head the CCA.

mscichlid

Founder
I love you, Sam.

Okay, I'm gonna go for it. I think I'll give them some blackworms to up the ante.

These fish are beauties and I don't want to miss the opportunity to breed them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Aw shucks...

I have orange Krobia large enough to farm out (wee but tough) if you care to go that route - naturally, affordability is of no concern.