• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

SAD DAY - Total loss

janelle408

Members
So I got home from work and noticed a dead multie in our multie tank. When I looked closer, I noticed the ALL of them were dead. I put my hand inside and noticed that the water was hot. Apparently the heater malfunctioned and the fish died quickly. They were fine when we left the house this morning. This is the first time I've cried over losing fish. We've had them for over 3 years, including the prettiest multies that I have ever seen that I bought at one of my first club meetings. I know that they were only multies, but there were so many generations in there. It's been a very sad day for us. Aqueon said that they would replace the heater with a better one, but that's all they could do.

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

We'll be looking to start all over, once we clean out the tank and cycle it.

chriscoli

Administrator
Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss!

I've come very close to having this happen, and I know others on this forum have experienced heater malfunctions themselves, too.

About a year ago, I lost an entire Multi colony when I forgot to add dechlorinator...I was very very very sad then, too.

I just recenly got a new batch of Multies. As soon as they have babies, I'm more than happy to give you some to start your colony back up.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Sorry for your loss

I had a full tank wipe like this once
it really sucked
my stingray, arowana, like 50 texas jack demsey hybrid fry, 5" male P.bleekeri, 8 kuhli loaches, and adult male spotted bn pleco. The tank is now up and running again but I still really miss my stingray. :(

ddavila06

Members
yuck.. sorry for the loss.........
that is one reason i do not use heaters in my tanks. except for one that is next to a door and only on winter time! so sad.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I am so sorry you lost them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oh man I'm sorry I actually read so many stories about this I ordered a finnex heat controller today for 30 bucks uponvfurther research I have learned they arevfor some reason incompatable with aqueon heaters total bummer becausevi have one now I have to return the controller or get a new heater. Anyone know why they are not compatible? Not trying to hijack the thread just a heads up to people like myself who are trying to avoid a similar catastrophe. I woyld also be brought to tears over a loss like this. Its constantly in the back of my head.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jmoore

Members
Sorry for your losses.
I don't use heaters either except for one fry tank that has nothing in it right now. All my tanks still stay around 74 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Sorry that happened. I have had heaters go bad but caught them before disaster occurred. I did lose a tank of fish to a co2 bottle issue.

toddnbecka

Members
Ya, lost all my LDA-08's and Sewellia to a heater malfunction last winter. I still haven't found any of the wee bristles available anywhere since then. Lost most of a 55 full of Tang's 4-5 years ago when I was down with a broken hip because the heater didn't work at all, and I wasn't able to get to the basement to check on things for weeks. Still have the Synodontis petricola though, the cool water didn't bother them a bit.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Janelle,

I'm sorry about the loss of your fish. Don't feel bad: it has happened to many of us at one time or another.

Matt

sorry for your loss but this seems to be one of the things that people in this hobby long enough run into, either over heating or complete failure.....

as i have seen mentioned here on this site "heaters are the one thing you dont want to skimp on", go ahead and pay the money upfront to hopefully eliminate these types of situation in the future....

rich_one

Members
I had a tank of multies meet that exact same fate a few years ago, after a stealth heater malfunctioned. I know how you feel. So sorry that happened.

-Rich

neut

Members
Sorry to hear this. Only really big tank disaster I've had (so far) was many years ago because the city did something strange with their water treatment. Never got a full explanation, just that they had chemistry problems for a few days. Have had heaters go wacky but I've always caught on before they cooked my fish-- so far.

But anyone who keeps fish long enough is going to have one thing or another go wrong sooner or later. Sometimes fishkeeping is not for the faint of heart...

MarkK

CCA Members
This is why I no longer buy heaters made in China.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App