• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Texas question

ccp2007

Members
Hey y'all, my brother just bought a red Texas cichlid last Friday. It's about 4". He got it because he wanted an aggressive cichlid. I checked his water parameters. The wp is Ph: 8.0, nitrite: 0, ammonia: 0.25 and nitrate: 80ppm :eek: he is pretty new at the hobby so I'll be helping him with a wc and other stuff asap to get it where it needs to be. Question here is, why is his TX hiding so much? He'll eat pellets but wouldn't eat a live worm :confused: He's a little disappointed because he wanted an aggressive fish. Could this be because the nitrates are so high?

Tank mates are: rainbow shark, rubber lip pleco and pictus cat. All are about 2-3" and all will be going to a new home this weekend so the TX will be alone.

I don't know anything about TX cichlids and my brother needs advice on this particular fish. I already know a MAJOR wc is needed asap...any other thought :confused:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Give him time to get use to the tank. Within a month the red Texas will be running that tank lol. Also, I agree with Zack....

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
What level of aggression is he looking for? How long has he had the fish?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jeff721

Members
Huh??? He is a hybrid and bred in captivity. He has no water requirements other than clean water( common misconception ) Out of the tap is sufficient. Best to not mess with the pH anywho.

Drew

Very true, consistent pH is so much more important than "naturally appropriate" pH. And captive bred fish are way less susceptible to water parameters.

ccp2007

Members
He's had it for 9 days now. It's starting to come out of it's shell a little more. I'll try to get a pic of him when I go to their house

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies