• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Gills?

WendyFish

Members
Below looks weird to me, little bit of red at side where fins meet body. I don't see any hooky worm critters in terms of flukes. Water parameters are normal for the tank, pH 8.0, good ole ffx water very hard, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10ish nitrate 5 days out from most recent water change.

Any ideas what could be wrong and if I should be worried about it?

RedGillLab2.jpg

RedGillLab.jpg

Bonus for reading, gratuitously cute fry born today decided to annoy me by hiding in the crevice between the background and side of tank. Good thing they are cute.

NewFryLabZebra.jpg

fischfan13

Banned
Hey Wendy.

This could be the result of an injury, either injured by another fish or maybe even possibly a rock. I guess my answer will be the answer that is given most of them time...fresh water and a little bit of salt in the tank.
Very nice Yellow's on your Labs.

WendyFish

Members
That makes sense to me. They are a bit rough with each other. I need to fix the gender ratio pretty soon, as it's like a bad frat party. Happy to think it's not illness.

It sounds by your description that it could be viral haemorrhagic septicaemia. Although fishes that have that tend to not act so normal. It is usually characterized by the reddening around the gills and the base of the fins tho. Usually formalin and salt will knock it out. I dont remember all the specifics so try Google it. I also may not be too close on the spelling but it was my best shot lol

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sometimes ammonia can irritate their gills making them become red, but salt will do the trick. I know that you stated the ammonia levels are low now,but maybe before you did your last water change is where they got it.

Cute babies!

WendyFish

Members
We did add aquarium salt, and within a few more days the fish looked perfect again. Whether it was aggression that got sorted out, or the salt helped, all is well now. I am in the midst of pursuing the longer term solution of sorting out the sausage fest of a frat party that is going on in their tank. If you want some nice looking male labs let me know. :rolleyes:

msjinkzd

invert junkie
haha, love yoru descriptions!

I just wanted to add, although I know virtually NOTHING about africans, that its often best to observe and take palliative measures (like salt) before medicating as medications themselves can be very toxic and should be used with caution unless you are fairly certain what you are treating.

Glad he got well! Beautiful fish!