• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rapps Group Buy - Who Wants In?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm planning to make an order with Jeff Rapps for delivery next week.

I'm only looking at a few fish...so there should be plenty of room in the box. Shipping thru UPS usually runs ~$25...so splitting 3-4 ways would make it really inexpensive.

Check out his list and let me know no later than Sunday...for delivery on either Mon or Tues next week...in Gaithersburg (probably meet up at Tropical Fish World or Buffalo Wings and Beer)...

www.tangledupincichlids.com

Thanks,
Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mentioned that I'd be ordering in the next week or so...and said that I'd try to make it a group order...

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Red head geos

Let me take a good look at the list and get back to you. In Cancun 'til next week but would like a half dozen of these, can't say what else yet.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm looking to stock my planted 20H and possibly revamp the stock in my planted 45 with some cool new world stuff. The 20H only has a few juvenile cories and a fancy pleco. The 45 has a pair of angels, some rainbows and tetras/rasboras.

I'm really more concerned about putting something in the 20H right now (as there's nothing really in there and it doesn't involve getting rid of fish), but am open for suggestions on both tanks.

Anything cool and small from his list? The Krobia sp. 'Xingu orange' look pretty cool, but I think they may get too big for the 20H, no?

The problem is that both of those tanks are very densely planted/wooded (and only 12" in depth). I guess I could remove some plants, but sort of like the way they look now....

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The Krobia will end up getting to 6"+ and pretty thick, so they wouldn't be a good choice for the long run. I'll have to double check the list to see if there is anything that stays small.

Tony

The Krobia will end up getting to 6"+ and pretty thick, so they wouldn't be a good choice for the long run. I'll have to double check the list to see if there is anything that stays small.

Cool. Thanks John.

A search on the site yielded a picture of Matt's Krobia. Great looking, but thick fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yeah - Krobia wouldn't be good for a 20H...

A couple of choices:

Maybe 4 of these guys: Biotodoma wavrini - wild rarely imported Orinoco earth eaters with pastel colors. I've never kept them but have thought about it several times. They get about 3.5" and are relatively peaceful. It would be way cool to end up with a pair in your well-planted 20H.

Another choice would be either the "Norte" or "Blue Neon" Gymnogeos. I'd bet that Jeff could find a pair of either. You wouldn't even need to heat the tank.

Matt

Tony

Yeah - Krobia wouldn't be good for a 20H...

A couple of choices:

Maybe 4 of these guys: Biotodoma wavrini - wild rarely imported Orinoco earth eaters with pastel colors. I've never kept them but have thought about it several times. They get about 3.5" and are relatively peaceful. It would be way cool to end up with a pair in your well-planted 20H.

Another choice would be either the "Norte" or "Blue Neon" Gymnogeos. I'd bet that Jeff could find a pair of either. You wouldn't even need to heat the tank.

Matt

Wow, the wavrini do look like pretty cool fish. I read up on them a bit and the only hangup I found was that the tank's substrate is Flourish (the oldschool large brown kind). With them being eartheaters, will they be happy in a tank without sand?

The El Norte look very cool. They're beautiful fish. Can't really find too much info on them though other than some pics and a few accounts of them being kept in larger tanks.

I only have a bunch of grass and other stem plants in the tank, so would be happy to do some aggressive lawn maintenance if a pair could fit long term in a 20H. About how big do they get? Both the El Norte and the Blue Neon look very similar.... any real differences?

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't worry about the wavrini and flourish vs. sand.

Monster Gymnogeo rhabdotus-type males (like Norte) get 5"...but that takes years and years. I've bred mine in a divided 2'x2'x1' tank (which is like a 20L)...

They're easy to keep and would probably enjoy the dense planting...

Matt

Tony

I've bred mine in a divided 2'x2'x1' tank (which is like a 20L)...

I assume you don't have any little guys...

How about part two of the question then. If I grabbed either of these two fish - wavrani or one of the Gymnos, grew them out a bit and down-the-road moved them to a larger tank... say 40B or 55, could I keep other interesting fish with them?

I've always been interested in Gymnos....

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have some Nortes but they're part of the larger breeding group (or I'd give ya some ;) )... I'm probably going to get some of the Blue Neons...so you can have some fry when I get some.

Try the wavrini - really cool and will mix well with all sorts of cool Geo / mid-sized SA kinda stuff in a 40B or 55g...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have my order in. Tony too, I think.

We're looking at Wednesday (12/8) for delivery.

I'll pick up from the UPS Depot on Gaither at about noon, drop my fish at home...and meet everyone at Buffalo Wings and Beer (on Snouffer School) shortly thereafter...

Shipping should only be about $8 each if it's Jon, Tony and I. Less if someone else wants to jump in on the order...

Matt

Tony

Awesome. Thanks Matt.

Yeah, I spoke with Jeff after I got off the phone with you earlier. He talked me into getting the rhabdotus/Blue Neons instead of the Nortes. I told him they were my first New World cichlids (other than Apistos) and he said that the rhabdotus would get me hooked... lol.

Looking forward to it!

dogofwar

CCA Members
...there's a rumor that he's getting some new stuff in from Suriname (that's between Guyana and French Guyana!)... so there will be time to add to our order...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm interested to see what comes in. I sent an email and haven't heard back from him yet. I'm pretty sure the wife will allow me to get a new 120G tank for x-mas, and I am going to get a few bigger, more aggressive CA's to put into the 180 when they get big. I'm going to get a some tetracanthus, breidorhi, cintinellus, and carpintis to grow out.