• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plants

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
I was wondering if anyone was selling plants or know of a good place to buy? How do you guys feel about TC? Any good substrate suggestions?

Zepp914

CCA Members
I don't know where TC is, but House of Tropicals has the best selection in the Baltimore area. They label their plants Low / Medium / and high lighting. Anything they label "high" requires CO2. If you want to try a small variety of plants, that may be a good option. If you want a lot of a particular plant, post a WTB in the market area and someone probably can hook you up. Petco/Petsmart sells tubes of plants, but they are $$$ and I have had no luck with them.

Substrate:
There are nutrient based soil options or you can get sand and use root tabs. I do sand and root tabs. You can get various colors of sand at a pet store or you can try your luck with pool filter or play sand from Home Depot. No matter which sand you get, rinse it a bunch of times. I haven't looked into soil or how to prep for that. There is nothing stopping you from using gravel and plants. Certain root feeders may not like it, but if you are just adding a bunch of moss and java fern it will work.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
TC = tissue culture?

PVAS spring auction is a good place to buy and HoT does have a good selection these days.

But for my money, I'd go GWAPA.

Blaise

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
I don't know where TC is, but House of Tropicals has the best selection in the Baltimore area. They label their plants Low / Medium / and high lighting. Anything they label "high" requires CO2. If you want to try a small variety of plants, that may be a good option. If you want a lot of a particular plant, post a WTB in the market area and someone probably can hook you up. Petco/Petsmart sells tubes of plants, but they are $$$ and I have had no luck with them.

Substrate:
There are nutrient based soil options or you can get sand and use root tabs. I do sand and root tabs. You can get various colors of sand at a pet store or you can try your luck with pool filter or play sand from Home Depot. No matter which sand you get, rinse it a bunch of times. I haven't looked into soil or how to prep for that. There is nothing stopping you from using gravel and plants. Certain root feeders may not like it, but if you are just adding a bunch of moss and java fern it will work.
I was thinking of using sand. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Tc. is tissue culture.

Becca

Members
I sell plants out of my house and at meetings. I put together an 8x16" (fish bag) grab bag for $10 based on info you give me about your tank, stock, and lighting.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
I have a daylight
I sell plants out of my house and at meetings. I put together an 8x16" (fish bag) grab bag for $10 based on info you give me about your tank, stock, and lighting.
I have a daylight that is 10000 KK. What with that temperature be considered? I tried using a converter but the number seems pretty extreme. If I can get some help on that I can know where to start.

Becca

Members
I have a daylight

I have a daylight that is 10000 KK. What with that temperature be considered? I tried using a converter but the number seems pretty extreme. If I can get some help on that I can know where to start.
What brand/model is the light?

lisa walker

CCA Members
Hi Becca, I am interested in purchasing your plants. I have a 75 gallon tank with moderate lighting, I have a 55 gallon tank with moderate lighting, mollies and guppies, and I also have a 20 gallon with moderate lighting and I have guppies in there as well.

Becca

Members
Hi Becca, I am interested in purchasing your plants. I have a 75 gallon tank with moderate lighting, I have a 55 gallon tank with moderate lighting, mollies and guppies, and I also have a 20 gallon with moderate lighting and I have guppies in there as well.

Lisa- I will see about putting a grab bag for you to pick up at the meeting on Saturday. I do have another member picking up some bags and someone else who picked up this past weekend, so I'll have to make sure I have enough to fill all of the bags. With guppies and mollies, you might like some guppy grass and other floating plants for fry to hide in. Thoughts?

lisa walker

CCA Members
Lisa- I will see about putting a grab bag for you to pick up at the meeting on Saturday. I do have another member picking up some bags and someone else who picked up this past weekend, so I'll have to make sure I have enough to fill all of the bags. With guppies and mollies, you might like some guppy grass and other floating plants for fry to hide in. Thoughts?

Okay, the other person is actually my daughter . I do have a 75 that I plan to add Gauramis and other compatible fish (haven' decided on which to add) as well. I do have some floating plants in the 55, I'm really looking for the 20 and mostly the 75. Any that you have availale I'll be happy to buy.

Becca

Members
Okay, the other person is actually my daughter . I do have a 75 that I plan to add Gauramis and other compatible fish (haven' decided on which to add) as well. I do have some floating plants in the 55, I'm really looking for the 20 and mostly the 75. Any that you have availale I'll be happy to buy.

Awww, that's great that you guys are in the hobby together! I'll see what I can do ;-). Do you have rocks and driftwood to attach plants like anubias or Java Fern to?