• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

petsmart find

spazmattik

Members
I was suprised yesterday when I found a tank of fuscos next to all the typical africans petsmart normally carries.. I was really tempted to get one but they were a bit small to throw in with our current africans. They were about an 1.25" or so for 9.99

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Definitely in the top 3 of meanest Malawi haps I've kept....

Gorgeous though.

spazmattik

Members
Wow really Tony? I figured they were just a typical big fish eats little fish kind of predator. What ranks above those guys on your top 3?

Tony

Wow really Tony? I figured they were just a typical big fish eats little fish kind of predator. What ranks above those guys on your top 3?

They're the worst of the Nimbochromis for sure. Had mean venustus before, but not like those guys. I think they're on that border between Nimbochromis and Tyrranochromis - a much more aggressive genus.

The other two most angry Malawi haps (that I've kept as adults) would be Tyrranochromis nigriventor and Buccochromis nototaenia. Attitude + size + capable mouths put those guys up there with some of the centrals in terms of ability to take out tankmates.

All three of those fish get large. I have seen the first two at a foot long and they are big heavy fish. The Shed Aquarium has a B. nototaenia that must be in excess of 20".... an absolute monster who keeps a foot long venustus pinned under a rock all day.

For other meanies I've kept, my honorable mention would have to go to Naeviochromis chrysogastor. The are egg stealers in the wild, so are all about whacking each other in the face. I *had* a very nice W/C group that dwindled over time as they beat the hell out of each other.

In the absence of females and in a large tank (180+), adult aggression could be kept lower, but definitely try to avoid conspecifics as an extra safety measure.

There is a reason that I don't keep many predatory haps anymore...

Tony

Don't let that be a deterrent though... just be prepared for when they get big (it takes a little while) and don't try to keep them with fish that can't hang (smaller peacock species, blue Copadichromis and some of the smaller Placidochromis).

Other than that, have at it. An all male predatory tank is a spectacle!

Tony

Forgot to mention Aristochromis christyii - another large, destructive hap. Best mouth (or worst if you're on the receiving end) of any hap imo. Thinking about it a bit more, it may be one of those in the Shed and not the Bucco...

Awesome stocklist for a Malawi "big boy" tank (kept all of these at one time or another):
-Fossochromis rostratus
-Protomelas spilonotus
-Buccochromis sp. (maybe a spectabilis as they don't get as big as the others)
-Aristochromis chrityi
-Placidochromis milomo
-Chilotilapia rhodeseii
-Copadichromis borleyii
-Champsochromis caereleus
-Dimidiochromis compressiceps
-Exochochromis anagenys
-Stigmatochromis spirosticchus
-Nimbochromis venustus (yeah, common, but those cow spots make them a stand out)

Rasta Fish

Members
Nice Stock List
I have kept all those guys before also still have most
makes me want to redo my tanks setup again

Tony

Nice Stock List
I have kept all those guys before also still have most
makes me want to redo my tanks setup again

Yeah, not my current list, but had most of those guys a while back (in the same tank). Typing all of them out earlier made me want to keep some of them again.... For now, content with the 180 being a tank with groups of less aggressive guys (though still have groups of the P. spilonotus, rostratus, B. spectabilis, subadult venustus and Champos, lol).

Yup, crowded tank, lol. My Malawi setups always are. :)

Tony

And they are selling them at Petsmart to the unknowing, my oh my.....

A large portion of the stuff sold at Petsmart/Petco shouldn't be sold to people getting into the hobby - iridescent sharks, pacus, single tropheus, horrifically mean mbuna (P crabro, M. auratus, demasoni), festae, Chinese algae eaters, common plecos....

For a good chuckle next time you're in there, check out the info on the label for "recommended tank size." Almost all Malawi cichlids have a listing of 20 gallons.

Not saying they peddle bad fish, just bad advise.

It's unfortunate when you consider just how many folks they scare away from the hobby every day.

spazmattik

Members
Really? Festae at petsmart? Lol

Yea Jon, I overheard an employee telling a customer they stopped carrying pacu too.

I was about to say that I must have missed Pacu's and Festae. My bigger problem with their advice is when they tell people to start with a five gallon and a goldfish....I always want to strangle someone when I hear that.

Tony

Tony are any of these guys breeding for you now?

The Fossies are holding almost all the time and Protomelas occasionally. Stopped stripping fish though.

Tired of either getting $6 for a bag of juveniles at auction or people complaining that they don't want to pay $5 for a 4-month old growout fish.

The other two have not. They're sort of out-competed in the tank and probably would if I gave them their own space.

Craig, if you want some, I'll pull some for you. :)