• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Peacock suddenly started swimming upside down, what happen, what to do?

Ading522

Members
How's your water parameters? Aeration enough? Any other sick fish or fish with the same behavior?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

madcobra216

Members
All my perimeters, aeration ets are perfect, this stud was just trying to get busy with a female, moving around some sand & then I look up & he was just swimming upside slowly sinking to the bottom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

madcobra216

Members
Ading its the same Ruby Red I got from you earlier this yr. Its the craziest thing I've ever seen

I'd pull him out mostly for his own safety and put him in something small maybe even a breeder net or hang off the side breeder box if you have one large enough, and see if he gets his orientation back. I'd assume something neurological and that he banged into something (assuming no one attacked him)

madcobra216

Members
I think that's what happen, he probably hit his head in the process of him doing his mating dance

Ading522

Members
I had a two fish act like that lately.. and even after i had removed them and got them into quarantine, they sadly have not survived.. :( .. are rift lakes known to be glass bangers? if this has something to do orientation, how do we get them back on track?

madcobra216

Members
Great question Ading, because I NEED to know so I'm prepared next time, I was literally holding this thing in my hand in the water, hoping it would get its barings back...I still have him in the hospital tank hoping for a miracle

Ading522

Members
Great question Ading, because I NEED to know so I'm prepared next time, I was literally holding this thing in my hand in the water, hoping it would get its barings back...I still have him in the hospital tank hoping for a miracle

i did that too.. it was really puzzling for me, because when i would see them doing that.. i would hold them in the water..then they would just swim away.. eventually, that did not last long.. another thing was, it happened to a female fish as well.. any one out there with experience and advice on this matter??

Just about two weeks ago I had a similar problem for the first time ever. One minute perfectly happy fish the next swimming upside down all over the place. I didn't think of it then but the idea of an accident causing neurologic damage would explain the symptoms.Unfortunately the damage may not have been fatal but the resulting loss of control was. I'd love to hear what other people think on this.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

If one fish did it when doing its flirty dance, I'd assume self-injury in the heat of the moment! If more than one fish is doing this, I'd assume either they are being injured by another fish in the tank or you have a serious issue in terms of disease or toxin of some sort.

I would immediately do a huge water change making sure you have fully dechlorinated and adding aeration just for giggles. If it's a toxin of some sort, it could have been on your hands or someone dropped something into the tank poisonous to the fish? This is also assuming you've not added new fish or any new wood or plants that might have brought in a contaminant of some kind

Just to be on the safe side, be certain not to cross contaminate with your other tanks

Ading522

Members
If one fish did it when doing its flirty dance, I'd assume self-injury in the heat of the moment! If more than one fish is doing this, I'd assume either they are being injured by another fish in the tank or you have a serious issue in terms of disease or toxin of some sort.

I would immediately do a huge water change making sure you have fully dechlorinated and adding aeration just for giggles. If it's a toxin of some sort, it could have been on your hands or someone dropped something into the tank poisonous to the fish? This is also assuming you've not added new fish or any new wood or plants that might have brought in a contaminant of some kind

Just to be on the safe side, be certain not to cross contaminate with your other tanks

Holly..on mine..i did do a huge water change the..and singles out those two..it did not happen together at one time but the spacing of events did not take long.. I am assuming the culprit are the n.venestus pair that seem frustrated that their spawning activity is always interrupted..but then..a 220 is enough space for 12 fish and about 25 1-3" juvies.. I always wash my hands and arms before and after putting them in a certain tank.. More than once if I touch something I feel would be toxic to fish..so I think cross contamination can be crossed off, maybe it could be the attack on a fish?

How big is the tank? Large rocks?

Tony..in my case.. 220..which I got rid of recently because it was too tall.. Rocks where stacked slate rock only about 4" -5" high..stacked on the side and back side of the tank..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Holly..on mine..i did do a huge water change the..and singles out those two..it did not happen together at one time but the spacing of events did not take long.. I am assuming the culprit are the n.venestus pair that seem frustrated that their spawning activity is always interrupted..but then..a 220 is enough space for 12 fish and about 25 1-3" juvies.. I always wash my hands and arms before and after putting them in a certain tank.. More than once if I touch something I feel would be toxic to fish..so I think cross contamination can be crossed off, maybe it could be the attack on a fish?

Tony..in my case.. 220..which I got rid of recently because it was too tall.. Rocks where stacked slate rock only about 4" -5" high..stacked on the side and back side of the tank..

I think we were asking the OP to try to diagnose his issues.

220 should be big enough for all but groups of the largest Malawi haps.

Ading522

Members
I think we were asking the OP to try to diagnose his issues.

220 should be big enough for all but groups of the largest Malawi haps.

thanks Tony.. just wanted to find out as well why this happened, and how to prevent it.. but I'll let the OP continue.. :) thanks!

madcobra216

Members
Tony, sorry for the delayed response, I have a 180 gal, I know for a fact it's not toxins because my tank has a canopy & I seldomly put my hands in my tank. I figurd it was probably an accident because this stud was doing his mating dance all evening & then suddenly he was floating upside down. I've been in this hobby for approximately 15 yrs & I've never experience this. That's why I was so confused because I felt helpless...

neut

Members
Tony, sorry for the delayed response, I have a 180 gal, I know for a fact it's not toxins because my tank has a canopy & I seldomly put my hands in my tank. I figurd it was probably an accident because this stud was doing his mating dance all evening & then suddenly he was floating upside down. I've been in this hobby for approximately 15 yrs & I've never experience this. That's why I was so confused because I felt helpless...

That's most likely imo. IME it can be just a random, freak thing, except when due to definite or chronic chasing by another fish.

I don't know a fool proof cure. Sometimes time, clean water, good O2, and a tank where it can be left alone is enough. Supposedly meth blue helps in some cases, can't remember if I've tried it-- think so, but don't remember the results (I've only had it happen less than a handful of times in many years, doesn't make me an expert). Some will get better up to a point but never quite fully recover. A lot depends on the extent of the damage imo.