• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Parachromis friedrichstahlii

Animal85

Members
Hey, I posted this on monster aquaria network about a month and a half ago,

Just wondering what size my freddies should start showing their colour?
I have a male... Well I had two males (initially thought one was female) for a while and swapped one of them at the fish store they came from for a female. My male is about 5 - 5 1/2 inches long and he is almost white with dark markings... When he gets around the female he gets darker spots and more of them but no yellow. The female is probably only 3 - 3 1/2 inches but when I first put her in she was slightly yellow (now much less)... They currently share the tank with a pleco and convict (thought I got rid of all of them)!! Is it my water or will they colour up soon?

I have taken the advice from the members there (darker background and more things in the tank e.g driftwood) but have only had slight success in which the spots on them are slightly darker. I will upload two pictures of the male so you can see.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Animal85

Members

Could he/they be xanthic? (the female looks similar to him, just smaller)And would you agree that he is definitely a freddy??

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't have any experience with keeping them, but I agree that he seems awfully large to not have the adult coloration.

blkmjk

Members
Looks ugly to me... I will buy him from you. On the cheap...

Seriously awesome fish. It looks xanthic to me. That would mean it is a prize fish. Worth a ton of money. Not my cup of tea but to each their own I guess. If you're seriously not interested in it I would be interested in snagging him from you.

Drew

Animal85

Members
So you don't think it's water quality that is causing it? I just got off the phone to the place where I got him from and they said that they keep the ph at 7 where mine is closer to 8.
I don't think I will ever sell him (xanthic or not).. he comes to the top and eats from my fingers... By far my favourite fish

blkmjk

Members
I've owned every I Parachromis. That fish is very unique . My Ph here is 7.8 color is not effected by Ph.

Drew

Animal85

Members
Hmmm interesting... The male that I have swapped for my female has now colored up (now has a tint of yellow) but while I had him he was similar to my guy.. it has me stumped either way he is a cool fish. I will keep you guys posted as to how he turns out.