• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Opinions on more fish?

captmicha

Members
So, my entire fish room came down with Mycobacterium marinum, which is incurable.

Basically, it’s kind of like HIV, it doesn’t kill you it’s self, but it disables your immune system, so that you can’t fight off otherwise survivable diseases.

This tends to happen anytime a heater stops working and a tank gets cold, or a filter stops when the electricity goes out, water quality drops, etc.

I adopted some Corys that were asymptomatic in 3 weeks of QT, and then fish started dying after I added them to the same system as everyone else. They must have caught it from shared water change equipment, etc.

I lost most of my fish and only have like 1 left of some of the species I had.

I didn’t get any new fish, bc I couldn’t bear to just infect more fish and sentence them to death, but I read an article about someone using an UV filter to decrease the Myco, so that deaths reduced and new fish didn’t get infected. They utilized a microscope to validate their claims.

Based on this potential possibility, do people think I should try adding a few fish to see if it even works?

I really want to try it, but I also would feel terrible if it just ends up sickening them too.

Another possible issue is, does using an UV filter constantly have any downsides? I don’t have much experience with them.

Yes, I’m pretty emotionally attached to my animals, even the fish.

bkfamus

CCA Members
Sorry for your losses.. I'd try to sterilize

I have a UV on one of my tanks but never used it so not sure how effective it is.. Apparently, you'll need to align the UV wattage to correspond to your tank's flow rate. Here's a quick read from another forum on UVs.. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/uv-advice-wanted.758880/

Another option if you're unsure if your tank is safe is dosing the tank with Potassium permanganate. It's pretty strong and I'm no expert so defer to any more experienced members or you can research it some more.. I have used this w/ success once.. Here's a link with some infor: https://www.pvas.com/post/aquarium-use-of-potassium-permanganate

Good luck! 🤞