• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Odd behavior

This morning after feeding my fish I noticed my chilotilapia rhoadesii acting odd. He is swimming/floating at the surface at a 45 degree angle with his mouth and face breaking the surface. It almost appears like he is oxygen deprived but airation and circulation is strong he appears healthy when you look at him, no signs of disease fins are normal and keel is normal. Just the odd swimming or floating around the surface. Water conditions are almost perfect nitrates are a little above normal at about 30 or 40. All other fish are fine anyone have any ideas? Should I quarantine him?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wow now less than five minutes later he is having trouble keeping an even keel. Amazing because just a few hours ago I was noticing how beautiful and healthy he looked. I have isolated him, losing him would be very upseting. He is now upside down never seen a fish deteriorate so quickly please respond with any ideas or treatment optionns

No I have never encountered anything like it in 15 years he would've died slower if I tossed him in a frying pan

Was feeding omega one and bloodworms on occasion. Just hopped on the nls bandwagon I never believed the hype but my red empress seems to have colored up overnight. Coincidence??????

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Are you sure it was fat content of the worms? I thought that Mike said in his presentation that pretty much all worms have the same nutritional content. Protein was around 70% and body fat was in the single digits...

The bloodworms were by no means a staple more of an occasional treat. I have read conflicting data some sources said switch from dry sinking food to gel based frozen foods others said no frozen or expanding pellets just flakes. I thought I could trust the advice of the lfs who sold the fish but apparenlty not. I hope this is a problem of the past any opinions on using nls exclusively. Is it really that much better

I have one fish I am not sure of the sex. No gravel dug up and moved and no fierce territorial aggression. Does swim bladder disease kill that fast? I read a pea cold cure it? This was like three hours from onset to death