• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Non-pottable Water Pvc

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I know that some things leach chemicals into the water. I know pottable water PVC is safe. But it does not come in large diameters (I had a mbuna get stuck in a hollow log filled with gravel last night and had to fish him out, he is fine). I have large diameter non-pottable water PVC. I'd like to know if its safe to put in the tank. (The log was a decoration, not a hiding place, you silly fish! Its removed now....)

Also, what do you folks use for hiding places thats NOT rock? I HATE putting rock on top of rock, I'm terrified that it will fall even if siliconed (I currently have rocks on top of trusses made of pottable water PVC and a LOT of clay flower pots).

Thanks!
Amanda.

maddog10

Members
The white PVC is fine and it comes in sizes up to 8" at Home Depot and Lowes. Do not use the orange CPVC, the extra "c" stands for chlorinated.

Charlutz

Members
The white PVC is fine and it comes in sizes up to 8" at Home Depot and Lowes. Do not use the orange CPVC, the extra "c" stands for chlorinated.[/b]

Huh. Never knew that. I was more worried about the PVC because of the "not for potable water" legends. By coincidence, I just replaced the cpvc in my sump returns with pvc because I wanted more flow, but less concentrated pressure (swapped 3/4" for 1"). I had the cpvc for a couple years and no mass fish deaths, but better safe than sorry. I know there are many people who build undergravel jets using CPVC because they need the smaller diameters.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
I have white pcv in a couple of my tanks. No problems

Oh yeah, that PVC. Not PCV. Happens when you work in a shop. PCV= Positive crankcase ventilation. I dont thing that would work in the tank. lol