• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Additions

Picked up six juvenile Nandopsis Salvini and six juvenile firemouths at the PVAS meeting last night. Interesting fish already. The Salvini are already showing quite a bit of color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

mscichlid

Founder
Also picked up 8 Apisto Eunotus. Looking forward to seeing them color up.[/b]

Eunotus are one of those Apisto species that doesn't really shine in the color arena. The most color you will see is the female in brood dress.

Franny

maddog10

Members
At some point the Salvini will probably go on a murderous rampage, just be prepared to move fish around. If you are lucky you will end up with a pair (you will probably have to put the others in another tank). The firemouths are cool fish, you will be amazed at how long you will sit and watch them while they are flaring at each other.

Sonny Disposition

Hey, you're the one who picked up the salvini? What I suggest is keeping them in a fairly large species tank if you can spare the space, anything from 29 gallons upwards. I brought the parents back from Florida, half a dozen fish I think, and put them in my 65 gallon high with lots of broken flower pots. (They were about twice the size of the fish you bought in the auction last night.) As they reached about 4 inches, two of the fish begain to show what looked like abrasions on their upper jaws. Eventually, I saw that the two largest fish were getting into a shoving match, locking jaws and pushing each other back and forth. After a while, I didn't see much of them for a week or so, then I saw a cloud of fry come out of the flower pot.

At that point, I took the four remaining adults out of the tank, which might have been a mistake. About two weeks later, one of the parents was hovering in a corner, looking pretty sedate. I removed him (or her?) to a solitary aquarium, but he/she died in a couple of days. Someone in the cichlid club told me I should have left the remaining adults in the tank as a focus for the parents' aggression. (I don't know if they would have survived--the parents were pretty nasty.) Presumably, without a focus for their aggression, the parents began fighting among themselves. (What parents never disagreed on how to raise the kids?) Barring that, it might be a good idea to take all the adults out and separate them, once you see fry.

While they're growing, feed them a good quality, high protein granular food. I habituated them to eating off a flat rock on the bottom of the tank. (My guess is the parents spawned on the flat rock.) When they get a little older, you might want to give them a good cichlid color formula. As the get ready to spawn, the parents will turn a bright yellow, like the photo on the bag. This strain doesn't have quite as much red as the fish in the picture on the bag, but makes up for it with more blues.

Good luck!

Picked up six juvenile Nandopsis Salvini and six juvenile firemouths at the PVAS meeting last night. Interesting fish already. The Salvini are already showing quite a bit of color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob[/b]

Thanks for the background on the tank. Currently they are in a 30 tall that is packed full of anubias. They seemed to have divided the shadows and I expect before long that I will need to move them to a 75 that I have. If fry appear I will probably try to pull some of the batch and move to a grow out tank and leave enough that the parents can raise the rest. I am not sure that with my current space that I will try to save many of the fry as I think it will be a nature takes its course. They are great fish though already showing quite a bit of the blues and quickly decimating the snail population in the tank they are in which is an added bonus.

Sonny Disposition

The parents will stay with the fry for a long time. I never did see the surviving parent eat any of them. And there are a lot. I've auctioned off about 40 of them, and still have another 50 to 75 left.

Thanks for the background on the tank. Currently they are in a 30 tall that is packed full of anubias. They seemed to have divided the shadows and I expect before long that I will need to move them to a 75 that I have. If fry appear I will probably try to pull some of the batch and move to a grow out tank and leave enough that the parents can raise the rest. I am not sure that with my current space that I will try to save many of the fry as I think it will be a nature takes its course. They are great fish though already showing quite a bit of the blues and quickly decimating the snail population in the tank they are in which is an added bonus.[/b]

Well thats good to know. I will at least know where to call if I need to replace any. Let me know if you need any convicts for the adults to target since they didnt even get given away in the auction at PVAS. I gave the convict tank a good cleaning which really helped but I still need to find someone that needs some, even as feeders or lfs's that will do trade or consignment.

Sonny Disposition

Oh, I remember you! You're the guy who brought the convicts. Thanks for the offer. I'm going to have to decline, though. I'm finding new homes for lots of my fish. I'm going to try Malawi cichlids for awhile. I'm looking for some colorful fish that aren't too demanding.

Well thats good to know. I will at least know where to call if I need to replace any. Let me know if you need any convicts for the adults to target since they didnt even get given away in the auction at PVAS. I gave the convict tank a good cleaning which really helped but I still need to find someone that needs some, even as feeders or lfs's that will do trade or consignment.[/b]

Everyone declines and if I had known now what I didnt know then I would never have let them in the door.....I guess the bright spot is that they are only fish and I can keep them contained

cyradis4

Members
Convicts are just like Tribbles!!!!!
:woman2:
:happy0007:

(for those of you who don't get it, well, I'm not explaining!!!)

Later!
Amanda.

DeeCee

Members
Wow, we have a few of the salvini that have been entertaining me for a few days now - I just didn't know what they were!
I actually thought it was two males getting their "hen pecking order" down - until I noticed that they seemed to be pretty darn friendly when they weren't fighting each other. I had no idea both sexes looked so stunning!

DC